356BT6 - Wiring harness installation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

356BT6 - Wiring harness installation

#1 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi all,
I'm going to receive a new project very soon, a 356 B T6 with electric sunroof. I haven’t yet received the car, I will post photos when the car will be at home. This will be my first restoration project, I will appreciate your indulgence
The car has been already fully dismantled, all parts are in boxes. This will be a real jigsaw puzzle, and as I don’t any model close to me, your support will be really helpful for this project.
Part of the short term question I have, is the electric wiring harness physical installation : I’ve looked in the Workshop manual and on the web, I didn’t find any global description of physical electric installation and where/how the harness should be installed “end to end”.
Is there any documentation on this installation ?
One interesting article I found is on cyberwerkstatt.com (http://www.cyberwerkstatt.com/Members_O ... nstall.htm), but additional details, oictures,, tips would be very helpful, especially under the dash and other critical places (engine compartment, sunroof ...)

For info I've already many restoration books but not a lot of details on these installations

thank you for any help and tips

jule block
356 Fan

Re: 356BT6 - Wiring harness installation

#2 Post by jule block »

Are you using the existing harness or a new reproduction? When I have used old harness the bends sort of guide you and then look for the metal fasteners to hold it in place. When I put new in its more guessing. I probably have pics of my harness in a 62 sunroof coupe I can send you if you like.

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alexis Collaud »

The harness is in one box, I don't know if I will reuse it but probably not
But may it will help me to find the right "path" in the car :)
IMG_7062 1.jpg

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#4 Post by Geoff Fleming »

You may not have to use a completely new harness if the old wiring is in good condition. I would closely examine it and only then make a decision for a new harness. Cleaning each wire end, cutting away corroded wiring and establishing clean grounds solves most electrical problems.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#5 Post by George Hussey »

and start installation from the middle of the tub, in the center tunnel, before anything else is attached to the body!
George Hussey

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#6 Post by Phil Planck »

A
I have a bunch of under dash pictures taken while removing that harness. Can email them to youm
Phil Planck

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#7 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

What I would do and have done,
Check if the wire harnesses are usable. Clean them, check for broken wires, missing connectors, broken or missing sleeve tubing. There are several harnesses it is not only one in each car.
Use as reference the articles that appeared in the Registry's Magazine , Greg Bryan wrote articles describing all the wiring system of a 356 C which should be similar to the 356 BT6.

Here is an example of these articles. It appeared in Vol. 40 number 6 March April 2017. You can read all the magazines just click on the Magazine tab and click on the magazine you want to read. You can find the first wiring article in Vol. 38 number 1 May June 2014.
Attachments
wireharness01.jpg

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Indeed magazines are source of precious and detailed informations, I definitly need to go through them
Is there any "global" index of the various articles (to ease the research) ?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43521&hilit=Wiring+harness Most of the wiring harness links I have added to can be found doing a search with wiring harness as subject and my name as author. I have. C but much will apply to your T6B
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike DeJonge
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mike DeJonge »

On a 60 year old wiring harness the plastic covering each individual wire will be brittle. If you put this old harness back in the car, for sure you will expose some wire in the process. Do you really want to chance it and then be chasing a short? Replace the old one. IMO not worth using an old harness if you are going to restore.
Mike dejonge
Restoration Design Inc.
52 Pre A Body Bumper X2
53 Pre A coupe
54 Pre A speedster
56 Speedster
60 D'letern Roadster
67 911
05 997

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

I agree with you, Mike. Old wiring is a liability, not an asset. My wiring was a bit butchered at the turn signals and brake lights but I had already decided to replace the entire loom. When I removed it, I found a previous short under the dash that had burned through the plastic sheath and the wire cover.

New wiring = no worries.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

+2 New harnesses are not cheap but they are flexible and easier to install.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ben Wainscott »

My opinion is to not use the old harness if your doing a total restoration. Even though I had cleaned various ground points, etc. on my 65, with the new harness everything just worked and worked well. It would have been nice if you had taken it apart and took a bunch of pictures, so hopefully Phil Planck's pictures will help in the re-installation. Also stretch out the old harness on the floor, and it will help show you where turns are and marks where the metal clamps were.
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Full Color Wiring Diagrams available $41.00

Each full system schematic measures 18'' x 24'' and is accurately color-coded and labeled.
Diagrams are professionally printed on heavy 36 lb card stock and fully laminated.

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Full- ... 32222.html

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Greg Bryan, one of our members, also has full color, laminated wiring diagrams.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe