Fuel level in the fuel filter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Fuel level in the fuel filter

#16 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Wes Bender wrote:That is/was a Napa Balkamp 730-9561. It's been discontinued I think, but Summit Racing has the equivalent, Mr. Gasket #9748. You can Google "fuel filter glass" and see others. Be careful that you are not just buying the filter element inside.
I think this is the type of glass with metal ends filter you have.
PurolatorGlass&Metal.JPG
Mine was made by Purolator, but O'Reilly sells a clone of it.
Also, see: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-5524 ... 9ZAECZQNYM
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Clement Dang
356 Fan

#17 Post by Clement Dang »

Mr. Gasket 9748 fits 3/8” and Mr. gasket 9747 fits 5/16. I will get Mr. gasket 9747
Thx

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dick Weiss »

I never use the plastic (or the metal) in-line fuel filter--if the tank was cleaned and sealed. I agree w/David in why add another filter(?)--the system already has 3-filters and all the fuel stations have converted to plastic tanks.

I've removed the "cheapie VW" filters having 6mm nipples and using the ugly screw clamps won't be correct to crush the fuel hose--I use the OEM 7mm braided hose (from Stoddard, or others?) and I don't have the crimping tool (which isn't necessary), but just add the hose end-caps which looks very nice; Once the hose(s) are pushed/fitted onto the 8mm fuel lines, they can't be pulled off--like a Chinese "finger puzzle".

I don't recall how many in-line filters I removed from the under the car location and the engine compartment.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#19 Post by Wes Bender »

Yeah, there are two camps when it comes to whether or not you need these fuel filters, but it seems that all of us still enjoy driving our cars, extra filter or no.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....