Interior Rear View Mirror Removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John H. Spille
356 Fan

Interior Rear View Mirror Removal

#1 Post by John H. Spille »

I'm looking for some direction on removing the interior rear view mirror in a 63 T6. There are no visible fasteners, just the mirror base hanging from a plate of the same dimensions. Does the mirror slide off or twist off or what? Thanks in advance.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Interior Rear View Mirror Removal

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

John:

The mirror is held in place with spring-loaded ball bearings (for lack of a better definition) that clip into a base that is screwed into the roof. To remove the mirror, you can grab it by the stem and pull it diwn and towards you. If it's been in a long time, you may be able to dislodge it slightly and then gently pry it from the base.

Hopefully someone can post some pics of the process.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here is an old link that mentions a sharp "Pop" works better removing it. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36488&hilit=breakaway+mirror I vaguely remember removing mine on my 63 but the mind didn't store the info well.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for posting that, Doug. If I remember correctly, putting it back in I "walked" it from one side to another. As noted in the thread, the spring is very stiff. I noticed on a repro that the spring was was weaker and didn't hold the mirror as tight as the original.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe