Question for California Old Timers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Stone
356 Fan

Question for California Old Timers

#1 Post by David Stone »

I'm assisting with the history of a '57 Speedster for the wife of the owner who is now in Hospice care. The car was restored in 1984 and the body work was done by Angelo Pino at his shop that was reportedly in Pasadena at the time. The wife believes the paint was done by a man she knew only as "Boy George" who worked with Pino. Can anyone identify "Boy George" and confirm that Pino had a shop in Pasadena? I've read that he once worked in the North Hollywood area before his days in Fillmore. Thank you.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

Re: Question for California Old Timers

#2 Post by Jim Alton »

I'm not exactly a "California Old Timer" but I can confirm that there once was a Pinos in Pasadena. It closed before I learned of it.

I can tell you that one of Prescott Kelley's evaluations of 356s at auctions included Prescott's glowing praise that a car had been restored by "the legendary Pinos."

-----------------------
Turn here for Hung Luu
Turn here for Hung Luu
Hung Luu Auto Body
952 W Foothill Boulevard
Azusa, CA 91702-2842

Hung Luu Auto Body is still in business; Hung Luu used to work at Pinos. He's not well known but he is very highly regarded by those who do know him. Maybe he can answer your question.

I'll PM you with a phone number. Maybe Hung Luu would like the advertising but I'm leery of posting personal information.

By the way, Hung Luu is typically at his shop starting late afternoon or evening and into the morning.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

Re: Question for California Old Timers

#3 Post by Alex Mestas »

I’ve had work done at Hung Luu and I was told that Hung Luu worked with Pino and Memo who is also at at Hung Luu shop trained under Pino. They do quality work.

Hung Luu Auto Body
952 W Foothill Boulevard
Azusa, CA 91702-2842
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.