VIN database????

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

VIN database????

#1 Post by David Jones »

I see the post from Curt Dansby about the changes made to the VIN database but only because I clicked on the link about the registry. Should there not be an announcement about something like this for those of us who are willing to post details about their cars? I also cannot find a way to edit one of my previous entries which I would like to do. I understand it is evolving but what stage are we at and can we be privy to what may be coming down the pike?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: VIN database????

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Hi David,
As far as I can see there is no way to edit your cars. I mentioned this in my post on the other thread. I think we have a communication problem between those asking for a Registry and those who are implementing it. I don't see much of an improvement but I bet the amount of work that Eric is doing is a major effort regardless. I don't understand why there is a reluctance to discuss and plan fully before asking that a great deal of work redone. Carpenters say, measure twice cut once.

I don't see how this job can be done without owner access to help in the updating. I also don't feel that we can get the full benefit unless there is a standard form with the ability to search characteristics such as individual options or colors. How many original Smyrna green cars exist? How many were equipped with Rudge wheels? No database will ever be perfect but we can do better than what we have.
Cliff

ps-thanks for the lead on the Vee sway bar which I now have on the Devin
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

Re: VIN database????

#3 Post by Eric Cherneff »

See my post in the other thread. I am not involved in changes to the db functionality (only making suggestions, along with others). I can only make changes to the actual records inside.
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager