Scottsdale

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: Scottsdale

#16 Post by Alan Hall »

In high school in the early '60's I walked by the local custom body shop (Vann's, in Berkley, CA) every day and watched as they modified a double bubble with wings that wrapped up the rear of the body from the sides and joined with a seam at the top, over the rear window and above the bubbles, pretty wild looking! Often wondered whatever happened to that car.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

Re: Scottsdale nostallgia and life is random.

#17 Post by Steven Murray »

Yea, prices are down. I don't own one yet so you understand my reaction. Even though i now carry a medicare card I'm still too young to have a nostalgia crush on the 356. I have never even ridden in one let alone driven one. I did finally sit in a non-running 356 thanks to a Registry member 50 miles from me. Vic's autobiography in the current issue mentions how he sold a 57 MGA to get his first Porsche and evidentially he was hooked on the 356 but future buyers like young 65 year old me just know that the MGA and 356 both look similarly cute and without life experience we see a MGA roadster is just 15% $$ of a 356 cab so I think pricing is going to be tough just due to the 356 "price no object" crush being for the 70+ folks. Being an east coast fellow - I may have not even seen one until i was 45. I know I had an interest because I bought a Meredith book 30 years ago off the discount rack probably for a few dollars. Like VIc I bought a car off a co-worker in 1987 a 4 year old Audi Coupe GT and I was kind of an Audi guy for many years. To bad I didn't have a co-worker selling a 356. It's just the randomness of life. My future in owning a 356 will probably be random again, maybe I'll just fall into somebody selling a nice one for a good price. I don't really travel far to look at a car. BTW I still have that 83 CGT so if i had bought a 356 back in 1987 odds are 98% I'd still own it and maybe a 2nd.
Last edited by Steven Murray on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

The market in general is down 20-30% from 3-5 years ago, for all but very exceptional or very rare cars, those buck the market every time. But for the regular Porsches, the ones that 95% of us drive/buy/sell yes the market is down. Try buying a car in this market, it's tough, I've been buying very little lately, everyone quotes me what their buddy sold his car in 2015 for. Should of sold it then, I say.
So expect to see lots of Unobtanium dead wood coming to market this Spring, I might get my lot back after years of not seeing it, that would be nice, so there is a silver lining to a down market.
Attachments
7sm.jpg
13sm.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#19 Post by Jim Liberty »

Right on Adam. Still $60 to 80K is still a lot of money for a nice C driver in the overall scheme of things. …..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#20 Post by Bruce Smith »

Adam, how can that be your back lot? Where's the snow?
Bruce Smith

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

Bruce Smith wrote:Adam, how can that be your back lot? Where's the snow?
Taken yesterday.
Attachments
snowlot19sm.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jim Nelson »

That's more like it.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jules Dielen »

and then there was this one.

supposedly matching and a rare color but the rear end had chunks of paint and filler falling off that looked like it was quickly touched up with a magic marker pen.

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1965- ... -sc-coupe/
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jules Dielen »

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1959- ... tible-d-6/

this was an ok car. Taken out of color (was silver/red) and the USA bumpers deleted. Strong money for a car with a story.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#25 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jules Dielen wrote:[...]Strong money for a car with a story.
Including the claim it is 'accompanied' by the original engine. I'd want a VERY close look at that serial number; it's very, very rare an original engine finds its way back to the car it departed.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#26 Post by Adam Wright »

Ron LaDow wrote:
Jules Dielen wrote:[...]Strong money for a car with a story.
Including the claim it is 'accompanied' by the original engine. I'd want a VERY close look at that serial number; it's very, very rare an original engine finds its way back to the car it departed.
It happens more often than you think, I re-unite about 1 a year. Ironically, sometimes people contact me, find out I have the original motor, and don't buy it. This happened recently with a guy who felt he was too underwater already on the car, he said he plans to sell it and will pass on my info to the new owner.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Michael Moss
356 Fan

#27 Post by Michael Moss »

Alan I wonder if that was Captain Sacto's car, he was a kiddie show host out of Sacramento, Ca. He dressed like a fighter jet pilot and drove a wild looking double bubble at the time.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jack Banville »

Captain Sacto! Couldn't believe my eyes when I read this. Watched him as a kid. Harry Martin was Captain Sacto and a talented guy with a very dry sense of humor who became a show-biz reporter. Didn't know he was a car guy but when he was Captain Sacto I had training wheels on my bike...RIP

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#29 Post by Alan Hall »

Thanks Mike, that probably was the car. Can't have been too many wildly customized double bubbles in No. Calif in the '60's!

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#30 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Captain Sacto? Wasn't he Captain Video's wingman?
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe