Oil Filter Canister - Fram F827

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Oil Filter Canister - Fram F827

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Is anyone familiar with Fram oil filter canister F827? We have a silver body, black lid oil filter canister on our 1960 Super 90. The label on the lid includes F827. All the reproduction decals I'm able to find are F988. Curious what the difference is.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Oil Filter Canister - Fram F827

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

The filter cartridge # would be the last 3-digits of the listed part #, but there was a change to -828--dunno why as the -827 is still listed in vendor catalogs.
I don't use the metal w/metal-wrapped cartridges w/little holes; I prefer the open-pleated Mahle OX-79.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#3 Post by Al Zim »

It does not matter what cartridge you use!!! Look inside the filter at the pipe that is vertical there will be only one hole about about 2MM in diameter on the side of the pipe. That is the only discharge hole in the filter. On the 912 the output hole at the temperature/pressure gauge is about 2MM also. I believe less than 2% of the oil is filtered at any given time. This was an advertising gimmick. Which did nothing to extend the life of the engine. al zim 2019/02/27
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

While there is no question that a full flow filter is decidedly better than a bypass filter, I would not call a bypass filter an "advertising gimmick". Even if only 2% is going through the filter at any time if the oil pump is moving say 2 gallons per minute, 100% of the oil would be filtered every 25 minutes, hardly worthless and way better than no filtering.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

I don't think it was an advertising gimmick that a lot of the German aircraft engines in WWII used bypass filters too. They probably weren't expected to run very long. As installed on the Porsche 356, I believe Ron LaDow's tests found that the bypass filter filtered approximately 7% of the oil and returned it to the crankcase. That was certainly better than the VW, which had nothing but a screen.

The bypass filter could do an acceptable job if you changed your oil regularly and nothing out of the ordinary happened inside the engine. If something bad did happen though, there was nothing to keep at least 93% of the crud from going through the rest of the engine. Yes, the magnetic stuff would probably collect on the magnet, but he aluminum, copper or brass stuff would continue to circulate.

My personal opinion is that we should all be using some form of full-flow filter on these engines. Kits are out there for all versions.

Just my $.02.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Hall »

Please tell me that no one believes that the same 7% of the oil is always going through the bypass filter and the same 93% of the oil never sees any filtering.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#7 Post by Al Zim »

There is a long post somewhere in the archives regarding this issue. My statement was that 2% of the oil is filtered at any time. It is called a by-pass oil filter because that is what it does. These very same filters were of Military Jeeps in WW2 and Porsche probably scrounged them up to use in their cars. The filters were also on ford tractors and on flat head fords and stove bolt Chevy's. Filters were an upscale addition the a vehicle which Porsche capitalized on! Their cars were selling at the same price as the top of the line American cars so they should have a filter also. Knowing the oil pressure of a hot engine the size of the hole in the filter pipe and the viscosity of the hot oil this flow can be determined. al zim 2019/02/28
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/