Throw Out Bearing Reloaded

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Walt Nolte
356 Fan

Throw Out Bearing Reloaded

#1 Post by Walt Nolte »

Now that the recent thread on a throw out bearing seems to have concluded, I though I would ask about mine. Sounds like I need to replace it again. This would be the second one in 5000 miles.

Background:

1959 A Coupe with 1968 912 engine, converted to 12V
Throw Out Bearing 644.16.305
200mm Fly Wheel 901.102.02601, slightly shaved
Sachs 200mm Clutch Disc 69211601601
Sachs 200mm Pressure Platte 61611601402

So, do I have the right throw out bearing and if not, what is the right one or do I have the wrong combination of fly wheel and clutch components?

Thanks

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
Montana
walt nolte

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: Throw Out Bearing Reloaded

#2 Post by Thomas Sottile »

you are using a pre A bearing why not use a 901 bearing

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

Walt,

As Tom said, you're using a flat-faced bearing instead of the correct later bearing which has a radius face to use on the non ring-faced
P/plate w/finger tipped diaphram spring. You're release bearing is used on 502 16 014, 547 16 016 1, or a former ring-faced diaphram spring.

Dick

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#4 Post by Walt Nolte »

Tom and Dick,

Thanks

Walt Nolte
walt nolte

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Walt
I don't think we know what you have.
first question do you still have the VW style clutch arm? that was original to the trans mission. second I assume you replaced the 912 flywheel with a 356C flywheel what is the distance from the face to the press plate interface?
The simplest way to proceed is to evaluate what you have if it has been satisfactory and renew the worn/end of life parts with ones of identical specifications. it sounds like you are using the wrong TO but to use the right TO you have to change the clutch arm and add a support tube then you have a choice of 3 available TO. The only 200mm clutch that uses the proper TO for your transmission were fitted to Spyders and they were special. VW used that TO with their 200mm clutch but the flywheel dimensions were different.
j

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Walt
you may be better off by doing what Max is doing with Kennedy. to optimize the process tell Kennedy if you want to use the 692 disc which is thicker than the VW one they would supply. if you elect to use a VW disc specify a spring hub like the 692. if Kennedy cannot accommodate your dimension you will have to have the flywheel machined to Kennedy's specification.
j

Al Zim
356 Fan

#7 Post by Al Zim »

Your success in using Porsche parts on your clutch depends on what is located around the input shaft and the type of release arm present. A) the transmission needs to be a 716 transmission. This should have three tabs located around the input shaft. These will hold the guided main shaft. The release arm should be flat and have a 6MM hole to hold the clasp that attaches the clutch cable to the arm. If these are present you can purchase a new release arm kit for the 741 or 901 throw out bearings ( this information is already posted) you can find the guide tube used and install it with three flat head screws. It is important to get the guide tube properly centered. Everything will work properly for 50K miles. I purchased my 1957 coupe because the shop put the wrong pressure plate with the A throw out bearing. al zim 2019/01/20
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Al
your method requires drilling and taping accurately the 3 holes if you could do that you could also drill the tube guided TO and use the clips and not change the arm.
j

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#9 Post by Walt Nolte »

Thanks all for the responses. I just looked through my records (going back to 1972) and have no reason to believe the clutch arm has been replaced. I am assuming that like the 644 transmission, components other than the flywheel, TO bearing and clutch/pressure plate are original to the car. I did not replace the flywheel that came with the 912 engine when this was installed in the car in 2010. My paperwork on the flywheel indicates it was designed for 1965-69 911/912 use. Is this my problem? May have to wait until the car is out of winter storage to look at all this and unfortunately, I know just enough about 356s to be dangerous.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Any others would be appreciated.

Walt Nolte
59 356 A Coupe
Montana
walt nolte

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Walt
it is difficult to use the 912 flywheel the trans housing would have to enlarged and you would have to use a 911/912 starter and space it further away from the mounting surface. I have seen it done but it was ugly.
j