It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: An Tiedemann
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:39 pm 
356 Fan

What a shock to hear Ab's passing; I'll miss him when we always see each other @ Hershey and Ski Roundtop + holiday events for a number
of years. Well knowledgeable in metalwork and background w/making special tools (I lent a tool for him to copy for Carrera engines), distributor restorations, steering couplings, and having fun keeping his Speedster on the road.

Sadly, RIP Ab.
Dick

Post subject: Re: An Tiedemann
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.
One of the best and a superb craftsman. He will be missed more than most of us.

David Jones #9715

Post subject: Re: Ab Tiedemann
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:42 am 
356 Fan

Sad news indeed. I never got to meet Ab personally but I bought some of his engineered products for my cars. From one engineer to honor another, maybe some levity is appropriate.

An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said, “If you kiss me, I’ll turn into a beautiful princess.” He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, “If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week.” The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, “If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I’ll stay with you and do ANYTHING you want.” Again the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked, “What is the matter? I’ve told you I’m a beautiful princess, that I’ll stay with you for a week and do anything you want. Why won’t you kiss me?”
The engineer said, “Look; I’m an engineer. I don’t have time for a girlfriend, but a talking Frog.... that’s cool!!!”

RIP Ab.

2002 HD Road King
1989 HD Softail Springer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 am 
356 Fan

Tag: What?
Ab was a gracious and thoughtful gentleman in addition to a helluva engineer. I needed a factory tool and asked if he had one of his reproductions in stock I could purchase. He didn't, but a few days later his one and only expensive original factory tool arrives in the mail with a note to "use it and just send it back when the job is complete.". I was floored! What a generous fellow. They don't make 'em like that any more. Rest easy in that Ivory Tower, Ab.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:24 am 
356 Fan

We have lost a true 356er.
I'm going to miss our spirited phone conversations.

Alan Winer, President
Porsche 356 Florida Owners Group

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 am 
356 Fan

How sad, Sincere condolences to Ab's Family.
Yet another great 356 Authority drives away into the Sunset (In a 356)
Never met Ab, but from over here I felt I knew him and always respected his in depth knowledge of our little cars.
Ab's knowledge can never be replaced, but it's important that we continue to recruit new knowledgeable young guys.
It's what Ab would have wanted!
Regards Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 am 
356 Fan

Tag: KTF
He will be missed, by all. His name will live on for years because of the hard work and dedication he put into improving ways of working on our cars, as well as the knowledge he shared. I will remember him every time I jack up a car using his perfect tool. A true 356 Renaissance Man!

Attachments:
abtool.jpg
abtool.jpg [ 734.74 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am 
356 Fan

Only had the pleasure of talking to Ab once years ago on the telephone. We spent an hour talking about distributor clips and springs. What a guy... I'll never forget that.
RIP Mr. Tiedemann. I'm looking looking forward to our next talk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:17 am 
356 Registry Member

I am so sad to hear of his passing. He not only had tremendous knowledge, he also had great spirit. Years ago my wife and I were more than 500 miles away from home in the 356 and the distributor completely failed. Called Ab, and he had a core but nothing completely restored. Well, he stayed up all night getting the distributor core refurbished and in the morning sent it to us by next day air service. What a great guy!
Miss him already!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 am 
356 Fan

I'm just so sad. Ab and I were trading emails about stuff a few weeks ago. He had gone down to the Carolinas for the better weather and said he'd see me at Hershey in the Spring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:58 am 
356 Fan

I only knew Ab through his postings here on the forum. He was one of the stalwarts who kept the 356 faith going. We'll miss you Ab. God Speed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 pm 
356 Fan

Rest in peace Ab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 pm 
356 Fan

Ab was one of a kind. A remarkable engineer and 356 enthusiast. I spoke with him at several Registry holidays over the years. If you asked him a question, his detailed response would always surprise you. I’ll miss things like his exposition on the durometer of shims in the rear wheel bearing assembly of the 356 and other arcane details. I bought several of his specialized tools for the 356, and they work amazingly well.
I and everyone here will surely miss him and his ability to devise and produce these things along with imparting unparalleled technical insight.

64C coupe
65C coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:04 pm 
356 Fan

I communicated with Ab a few times and truly enjoyed our communications. His engineering knowledge was amazing, as was his tool production. I remember how carefully he packed one of the tools he made me. I always wanted to meet him in person but unfortunately was not able to. Ab was such an asset to the Porsche community. He will be remembered!

Jon Lieber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:40 pm 
356 Fan

Ab was one of the best Porsche 356 guys I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I last saw him at the Ski Roundtop Swap Meet in September, and he was his usual self. Always anxious to show me his latest widget and tell me about what he was working on. I'm saddend that I will miss seeing him at various future events but his memory and work will live on. He literally had an impact on my Speedster from stem (restored jack) to stern (rebuilt distributor and one of his special long screws for the Zenith carb that holds the throttle return spring). God speed old friend!

Pete lost not only a good friend but a great father-in-law.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next