Ab Tiedemann

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Craig Richter
356 Fan

Re: Ab Tiedemann

#46 Post by Craig Richter »

Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between loss and gain.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#47 Post by Curt Dansby »

Most unfortunate news. The first time I met Ab, I was sitting next to him at an open Tech Session at a Holiday. I don't think there was anything discussed that he did not already know. I did a fair amount of business with him over the years and was always satisfied with his products and services. Another void in our community that is unlikely to be filled.

God Speed Ab

Curt

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#48 Post by Mike Wilson »

Does the family need any financial assistance for his services? If so, perhaps a GoFundMe site can be set up.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#49 Post by Victor Ingram »

I bought a couple of items for my jack that Ab had made, it was amazing what he could do.

I was having concerns about re-placing the nails that go through the deco strip that hold the Tenax clips for the tonneau at
the base of the top.
If you have them you know what I mean, they like to bend or flatten when you tap them with a hammer.

I thought let me call Ab and see if he has an idea or anything that would work.
He was very pleasant and understood my dilemma and had a "can do" attitude.
He asked what year my car was and then asked for my address.
A week or so later he sent me this great tool to tap the nails in.....and he made the nails!

My experience with Ab wash short but the memory will be long lived.
Thank you Ab!
Attachments
IMG_1583.jpg
IMG_1582.jpg

Bill Shea
356 Fan

#50 Post by Bill Shea »

Aww Shucks! I always enjoyed our lengthy conversations at Hershey and Round Top. A true 356er.

RIP, Ab. You'll be missed by many.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#51 Post by Mike Wilson »

So is his son now selling his parts?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

lee raskin
Registry Trustee

#52 Post by lee raskin »

Ab Tiedemann Updated Information from the Porsche Patter Chesapeake Region, PCA
CHESAPEAKE REGION MOURNS THE LOSS OF ITS LAST CHARTER MEMBER
By Lee Raskin, PCA CHS Member

The Chesapeake Region PCA community lost one of its legendary members on January 8, 2018. Albert "Ab" F. Tiedemann, Jr: a very early Porsche Club of America devotee, died suddenly from a massive stroke in Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Ab, aka 'The Hermit' by his past Porsche Patter and 356 Registry postings, was also universally recognized for his unique candor, generosity, extraordinary engineering ability, and his expert 356 knowledge of the Marque. His treasured hobby was providing engineering services through his personal business, Afterwerke.

Ab grew up in Catonsville, Baltimore County, Maryland and graduated from the University of Maryland School of Engineering. While at UMD, Ab Tiedemann excelled as an outstanding All-American mid-fielder for Maryland's NCAA Championship Lacrosse team. Ab later played for the legendary Mount Washington Lacrosse Club and was a starting member of the World Championship U.S. Lacrosse team in 1967.

Ab's initial interest in Porsches grew from a friendship with an engineering professor at Maryland. Ab purchased a used 356 A coupe from the Chesapeake Cadillac Company and then attended Porsche events in the Washington, D.C. area.. Later in April 1961, he joined the new PCA's Chesapeake Region in Baltimore and become a charter member. Ab was the CHS President in 1963. In 1964, Ab attended the 8th PCA Porsche Parade and won the 1st Overall Hoffman Cup. Ab was also a crew member for Bruce "King Carrera" Jennings Racing Team during Bruce's early National Championship days. Ab continued to compete in Chesapeake Challenge events with his faithful 356 A 'Gray Mare' coupe, his 356 C 12 volt coupe, and later, with his restored 356A Speedster.

Ab was a Chesapeake Challenge Chairperson in 1976, a Porsche Patter Editor in 1977, and a Chesapeake Challenge Concours Chair and Judge over many decades.

As a renowned engineer for the AAI Corporation in Cockeysville, Ab used his ability to redesign many Porsche parts and tools -- something he really enjoyed. He was well-respected for his superb knowledge of Porsche engines and concours detail. The late Porsche 4-cam mechanic, Heinz Werner Bade described Ab as a great friend....and having a relationship based on mutual respect and the knowledge that both possessed about the Porsche Marque. Heinz referred to Ab as "a thinking man's engineer."

Among one of the most notable Porsche parts that Ab designed and marketed, was the "SofTite" socket...a nylon-lined socket that was exclusively designed to remove the 911 aluminum lug nuts without scratching its surface. Ab also redesigned other Porsche Factory tools for more efficient use in maintaining and servicing a Porsche.

Ab and his spouse, Helen attended countless Chesapeake Challenges, Porsche Club of America and 356 Registry regional and National events over the decades. Helen was also a CHS Region Secretary from 1970-1971.

In recent years, Ab was a fixture at the Annual Hershey and Ski Roundtop (PA) Swap Meets....engaged in spirited conversation, while displaying his new and improved re-designed Porsche tools and parts.

At Ab Tiedemann's passing, he was the last Chesapeake Region charter member.

Ab leaves behind his devoted spouse, Helen, four terrific daughters, son-in-laws, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren

A great friend and true legend to the Porsche Marque...Ab will be missed.

CELEBRATION OF LIFE EVENT: Saturday, April 6th from 3-5:00 pm at the US National Lacrosse Museum and Hall of Fame
2 Loveton Circle, Sparks Maryland.
Attachments
Ab.jpg
Ab.jpg (56.08 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#53 Post by Phil Planck »

Tbank you, Lee
Phil Planck

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#54 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Lee:

Thanks for posting that remembrance of Ab and also the memorial celebration info. Ab was a truly remarkable fellow.

=rdsieber

Mary Skamser
Membership Manager

#55 Post by Mary Skamser »

From Ab's daughter Kim:

Just wanted to make sure your members received information on Dads Celebration of Life event scheduled for Saturday, April 6th from 3-5pm at the US lacrosse hall of fame museum in Sparks Maryland

Dads obituary ran this past Wednesday in the Baltimore Sun and it is available to view through legacy.com

Thanks,
Kim

Chris Duerr
356 Fan

#56 Post by Chris Duerr »

A true enthusiast! RIP Mr. Tiedemann.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#57 Post by Roy Smalley »

Ab was one of those that was always willing to help and a craftsman. Just a nice guy.

RIP Ab.

RoySmalley
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#58 Post by Richard Emerson »

Just reading this when I was looking to see how to purchase one of his horn (well light flasher) button removal tools. Sad.

lee raskin
Registry Trustee

#59 Post by lee raskin »

Yes. Ab Tiedemann ....was a mechanical and artistic genius. A true Porschephile and friend for over 50 years...he will always be missed. Lee Raskin

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#60 Post by Alex Mestas »

He was a brilliant Engineer that shared his knowledge with us all. RIP Ab. My condolences to his family. He will be missed.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.