Two questions to start the New Year....

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JohnLiles
356 Fan

Two questions to start the New Year....

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

Just got back from a very nice drive in the 356C to start the new year , not raining here in UK , but when I turned onto the highway the signs were up that they were spreading salt.......
When you get behind a salt spreader you are assaulted by a mix of coarse grit and crystals of rock salt and in the UK county of Cheshire where I spent Xmas , salt is big business so they don't stint on it !
Fortunately the spreader had already passed through and the salt was worn down a bit.

So my timing was good to just avoid one of the reasons why not many 356s survived our cold damp climate.

Meantime 2 356 related questions that maybe someone can answer so I start the year a bit better informed

What was the origin of the expression 'Keep The Faith' ?

How many 356 Continentals were made ?
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Re: Two questions to start the New Year....

#2 Post by Bruce Smith »

John - Here in Upstate NY, the roads are salted generously from about November until as late as April. It shortens the driving season indeed and is the reason not many cars up until a few years ago (any make) survived more than a few years. Salt dust is also a killer so I'd think you'd want to rinse your undercarriage real good if you were out on salted roads, regardless of whether they were driven on a bit. I put ours away at the first sign of a freeze and wait until a few hard rains once the winter salting season is done.

Also, KTF was from the late Harry Pellow, aka the Maestro. Google his name and you'll discover plenty of info. Get some of his books and you'll be entertained while learning a whole lot about 356 motors. Watch his videos and you'll learn even more.
Bruce Smith

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

JohnLiles wrote:How many 356 Continentals were made ?
I think all 10,000 of the original 3,000 have survived. :shock:

I don't know really, sorry.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#4 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I think something like 1500 coupes and Cabs. were built as 1955 model year cars and many if not most of the USA cars were Continentals. Let's guess 1000 (and yes 10000 remain).

Your salt comment reminds me of a '50's Ferrari that was sent to the Bonneville salt flats for a speed record. The undercarriage was never washed off and a few years ago when it was time to restore the car the underneath and bottom six inches or so of bodywork had to be replaced because of it.
 KTF, member #15

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#5 Post by JohnLiles »

Thanks Bruce , CJ , Tom . I have in the past read all the archived Registry Magazines (!) so was aware of Harry Pellow sign off of KTF , and wondered if he was the originator.

My Conradt book 'Porsche 356' gives a 1955 Stuttgart production figure of 1992 pre A coupes , so some fraction of these would be US export Continentals .

I have also read that Dennis Jenkinson ( a Brit ) picked up a '55 Continental direct from the factory in '55 - so not every car was sold in US.

I own a '55 Continental sold by Hoffmann according to the CoA so assume it is a real one.....( not one of the 10,000 ?? )
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Tag: Thibaut

#6 Post by ThibautBoey »

Hey,
Just bought a continental june / 1955.
Saw that there was a continental registry at the time. http://www.356continental.com

Would be nice to know how many are still there.
Maybe Albert Hafner can make a list from his pre-a register ore make a new 356continantel registry?
best wishes!
regards,
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#7 Post by Tom Coughlin »

John: "Jenks" did pick one up at the factory but remember that he was the Continental correspondent for Motor Sport magazine and had a bit of pull at the factory because of it (which may have been enhanced following his co-pilot win with Moss at the Mille).
In his book "Porsche 356" he included at least one picture of his car (p 43) with the Continental script clearly visible on the side. In other books he appears to refer to it as an "A" after upgrading the engine to 1600 cc., but he never took the bend out of the windscreen.
 KTF, member #15