Aftermarket sump

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lars Waldner
356 Fan

Aftermarket sump

#1 Post by Lars Waldner »

In organizing parts for my upcoming rebuild I found this. Can someone help with the manufacturer, application and value?
Attachments
006.JPG
005.JPG
58 Speedster
59 Convertible D

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Aftermarket sump

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

No information but I would not want to lose the ground clearance.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Deep sump. I think it adds a quart more oil to the engine.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#4 Post by Chuck Allard »

We used them racing the 356. It adds oil but you need to extend the oil pick up tube down into the deep sump. Also a heavier suspension is needed so that the sump doesn't bottom out on the track with a lowered car.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

There's enough surface area to really help keep the oil temps down, but you could do better by plumbing a good cooler in the nose (as most do by now AFAIK) and not lose clearance.
Even with an extended pick up, it didn't do much to keep air from getting picked up under lateral G-loads. I've lost track of the current tech in that regard; there are some Pre Mat sketches dealing with the issue, but none of the race-guys seem to be losing engines from a lack of oiling, so they are well on the back burners.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

It looks to be an old Scat sump -- still available - see https://www.scatvw.com/product/1-12-qua ... -oil-sump/

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

Just one time going off track and straddling the rumble strips and you will need a new engine. I did just that in my first year racing an F Vee with a 3 inch extended sump. You could not pay me to use one either on or off track. An accusump would be the sensible alternative.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Ron; we NEVER had an oiling problem since the advent of the deep sumps! Not the little extended pieces, but one like the photo.
David; and that's why I run a skid plate; a good, solid piece of steel, not a flimsy aluminum foil one. My skid plate has many scars to prove its effectiveness. An Accusump is OK, but still can't cope with a high-G sweeper.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

I ran my deep sump racer without a skid plate for 6 years without any problems. It could take some abuse without failing. I wouldn't run one on the street.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

No reason to run one on the street; you're never going to get the G-loads like on a race track.
As for additional cooling; if your engine is running hot, fix that problem.

Lars Waldner
356 Fan

#11 Post by Lars Waldner »

So I have a 911 race car...and my 356s will not likely hit the track, so this will not be needed on any of my rebuilds. Thank you all for your feedback. I have no need for this and if someone does, please send me an email. I am also looking to complete a rocker setup with an aluminum base for an SC rebuild. I have 3/4s of a setup, but missing a lot of everything to complete it. It would be nice to acquire a complete side, and then I can save my 3/4 setup for parts. So if you can use this, and have the extra parts I need for my rebuild...lets trade horses.

Thanks for the help!

Lars
58 Speedster
59 Convertible D

John Clarke
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Clarke »

It is surprising how, if these sump extensions take a decent hit, that they don't rip the 10- 6mm location studs / Grub Screws clean out of the lower case, and risk scrapping the engine!
Bad idea for the Street. Thought that racers had a Windage Tray surrounding the oil pick up inside of their Sump to stop high G surge ? Or are these extensions just for upping the oil capacity?
Jay

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#13 Post by Chuck Allard »

We still ran the normal oil level on the dipstick. It's just that the pickup was about an inch and a half lower down in the oil and the deep sump kept some of the oil from surging up the side of the case and out into the heads through the push rod tubes while cornering.