Rear Axle Nut Removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Scott McAdams
356 Fan

Rear Axle Nut Removal

#1 Post by Scott McAdams »

I have to do a little rear brake work on the 356B tub, and before I put the impact wrench on the castellated axle nut, I thought it would be wise to double-check the thread direction. I am assuming these nuts are using standard thread - i.e., counterclockwise to remove. I’m also assuming its a 36MM nut. Are these correct assumptions?

I don’t want to shred the axle threads inadvertently...

Thank you for your help!
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Rear Axle Nut Removal

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Correct on standard thread.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#3 Post by Scott McAdams »

Thanks Mike! It’s been a while since I pulled one of these....
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Glad to be of help, Scott.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I am not a fan of the impact wrench because of the shock loading, except with the fan nut. You should measure the torque upon assembly, spec is in the workshop manual, so why not use the same set up both on and off? I use a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar with a (calibrated) cheater pipe, torque to spec, and then up a bit to get the cotter pin in. I am careful that are no soft washers in there as they will crush, relieve the compression force, and allow the drum to work, ruining the splines. Yes, RHT both sides.
Last edited by Harlan Halsey on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rick Albro »

https://porsche356registry.org/article/146 is a good place to start if you have not already read the article.

Jim Perrin
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Jim Perrin »

One very cold winter evening in the late 60's I needed to remove an axle nut from a 356A transmission that was out of a car and in an unheated garage away from my home. I must have needed the drum or some of the brake parts. I had very few tools available to me at that garage, but did have a cold chisel and a heavy hammer. I started making a cut on the axle nut, with the cut line parallel to the axis of the axle. I was cold when I started, but didn't stay cold long while pounded on that hammer! I eventually got close to the threads with the chisel, and started hitting the hammer less hard, hoping to minimize any damage to the axle threads. By this time the remaining web of metal was thin. I gave it one more hit and suddenly the nut split open at the cut. Apparently there was residual stress in the nut, such that the remaining thin web split before the hammer had quite gone all the way through, so that the chisel never even touched the threads.
Don't think I'd care to have to do that again!

Jim
Jim Perrin

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Hit it with your impact. Always had a 36mm welded to 1 1/2" x 6" of thick pipe then welded to 6' pipe for tough ones back in the day.
Personally I feel precise torque is not critical on axle nuts when tightening.
Many will disagree. To each there own.

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#9 Post by Scott McAdams »

These are all great suggestions- thank you! Though I think I will use Jim's method as a last resort....
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23