Four-Cam Carrera, Spyder, Abarth, etc. Registries & Ser.Nos.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Perrin
Registry Hall of Fame

Four-Cam Carrera, Spyder, Abarth, etc. Registries & Ser.Nos.

#1 Post by Jim Perrin »

There have been many lists/registries made over the last 40-plus years of the Four Cam cars and owners. Some of these lists such as the Abarth Carrera Registry were started by one person, and then continued by others as time progressed. Other lists include the Carrera Cabriolet list, the Carrera Speedster list, the GT Speedster list, the Abarth list, the RSK list, the 904 list, etc., etc. Then there were the five editions of the Four-Cam Register. This was started by Steve Dean in 1971. The last edition, No. 5, was compiled by Greg Young and issued in 1983. Greg and I had planned to do a 6th version a few years later. but it was never prepared/issued. (A key reason that the 6th edition was not prepared is that cars were going up rapidly in value at that time, and many owners were starting to be reluctant to share information about their individual cars.) There were also private compilations.

I'm wondering who is currently collecting this type of information and/or maintaining any of the above mentioned lists.

Thanks!
Jim Perrin

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Four-Cam Carrera, Spyder, Abarth, etc. Registries & Ser.

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim-
I think the reluctance of which you speak has only grown with time. Many of the Carrera owners I know are very secret squirrel, they don't even bring the cars to Holidays anymore. It's a shame, cars that should be seen aren't anymore.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Frank Barrett
356 Fan

#3 Post by Frank Barrett »

I used to track the race cars, etc. but ran out of time. Sources of current info include auction ads. Hey, wait, isn't this the 356 Registry?

gregorycampbell
356 Fan

#4 Post by gregorycampbell »

I have a good list of the Elva-Porsches.
Gregory Campbell
'60 Roadster, Outlaw
'67 Double Cab, Porschwagen
'18 904 w/ faux cam
'55 Speedster, Devin bodied Racer
'64 Elva Porsche
'64 Coupe, RHD Racer
'62 Single Cab, Volkshauler
'57 ghia, Porschized rally car
'55 Sunroof, Outlaw

David Pateman
356 Fan

#5 Post by David Pateman »

Jim, could you contact me by email please.
Contact by email

Jim Perrin
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Jim Perrin »

I have learned about "The Speedster 356 Registry". The original version was started in 2004 as my356Speedster.com. The current version of this Speedster Registry is at
https://www.porscheregister.com/356-speedster-1954-1959. It includes a section on the four-cam Speedsters.

It was started as my356Speedster.com in 2004. It is now operated under the supervision of Porsche Classic Center Gelderland.

Who knows what happened to the Speedster Carrera Registry that was on the internet for years but has disappeared? I certainly wish that I had copied all the information on that site!

Jim
57 VW beetle, etc.
Jim Perrin