So, what is this?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chris Mann
356 Fan

So, what is this?

#1 Post by Chris Mann »

"Fleas" navidad all.

The seller shows a VIN # of 10409, presumably as the original chassis # (but is for a 1951 pre-A.) The Registry data base shows VIN # 13112 as generic replacement chassis (1959-1965). This car was reportedly built 3/20/59. Was Porsche making T-5's that early in 1959?

The under hood serial number shows a riveted tag over where the original stamping would be. If this is a replacement chassis, would it not have it's own unique stamped VIN? (Seller aside, this listing raises some questions, no?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Porsche-3 ... :0&vxp=mtr
Chris Mann

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: So, what is this?

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I've asked for some up-close photos. No response yet.
I think 10409 is probably their stock number. A COA was mentioned; forgot to ask for a photo.
No; Porsche was not making T-5s in March 1959. Need to find out what the original A chassis number was, that was built in March. And then verify the replacement chassis number.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Hussey »

wow that car is rough! Has also had some lousy long welding as well. Definitely 60 or 61 model. Looks like a 912 engine, (black shroud, soles carbs (few 356s had soles unless a super 90 or sc) certainly the tail pipe is 912. Unless the car is super cheap, I would steer clear, needs a major restoration. If it drove, however would be a great beater for no more in today's market than 22,500
George Hussey

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

My guess was it was originally built as a T2 A Coupe, got smashed, went back to the Factory, who made it into a T5, and gave it the new number. I almost bought a B Cab like this once, it started life as a notchback, got real smashed, went back to the Factory and left as a cab, with a 13XXX replacement number.
It would be interesting to see the Kardex, not the COA.

The problem with a car like this is any car that has a "story" means it will be de-valued by the market. Kind of like having a salvage title car, the car will never be worth full market value and finding a buyer can be harder. Not a big deal if you plan on enjoying the car, but just don't convince yourself it's worth full boat over time, you'll be mad.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Chris Mann
356 Fan

#5 Post by Chris Mann »

Now removed from Ebay.
Chris Mann