Best source for split axle boot

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

Best source for split axle boot

#1 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Who is the best source for split axle boots? Also, when installing is it advised to use some kind of silicone around the seam and shafts? I recently installed a set, and one of them developed a hairline crack which began leaking. I installed them when they were loaded, weight on the axles, as suggested. I don't believe it to be pilot error. I've had bad luck with other rubbers, shift boot, rear view mirror, etc. in the past.
Last edited by Robert Thiemrodt on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Best source for split axle boot

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Robert: our community suppliers, Klasse 356, Stoddard, Sierra Madre, etc. all carry the split boots. I haven't seen or heard of a problem with them. It sounds like you know how the properly install them with the split not at the top center. I've nver used any type of sealant on them.

As far as other rubber pieces, I've bought from Klasse 356, Stoddard and International Merchantile.

I'm sure others more experienced and knowledgeable will weigh in.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

I only use German ones.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 111501153A

Never used silicone, never had leaks.

Some of the boots are pure garbage.

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#4 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Yes, I installed the boots in March of this year. I periodically put the car on the lift to give it a once over. I noticed a very small hairline crack about 1/8 inch away from the larger hose clamp. I thought it may just be on the surface, and not all the way through. It worried me though fearing it could let go when out on the road. Luckily with a nice day yesterday I wanted to go for a drive, and there was the oil on the floor. Just want to make sure I buy the best product available, as I feel the one I bought wasn't.

Dan, the Wolfsburg link you sent will definitely adapt to my 356b transmission?
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Epperly »

Robert Thiemrodt wrote:Yes, I installed the boots in March of this year. I periodically put the car on the lift to give it a once over. I noticed a very small hairline crack about 1/8 inch away from the larger hose clamp. I thought it may just be on the surface, and not all the way through. It worried me though fearing it could let go when out on the road. Luckily with a nice day yesterday I wanted to go for a drive, and there was the oil on the floor. Just want to make sure I buy the best product available, as I feel the one I bought wasn't.

Dan, the Wolfsburg link you sent will definitely adapt to my 356b transmission?
Yes they are the same boot. I use them on my Bs.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Hussey »

These split axle boots are always of varying quality, that is why we only sell the ones from Porsche. Too much work to have to replace them every three months!!!!!!! (a bit of an exaggeration but close)

Robert Thiemrodt wrote:Who is the best source for split axle boots? Also, when installing is it advised to use some kind of silicone around the seam and shafts? I recently installed a set, and one of them developed a hairline crack which began leaking. I installed them when they were loaded, weight on the axles, as suggested. I don't believe it to be pilot error. I've had bad luck with other rubbers, shift boot, rear view mirror, etc. in the past.
George Hussey

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

There is only one German split boot: it's made by Febi -- see photo below. I think most Porsche 356 vendors sell this part. It's good quality and, if installed correctly, it should last a long time.

Porsche no longer offers a split boot. The original Porsche number was 644-34-191-1 and the VW number is 111-598-021-A. However, the current Febi boot comes with "modern" clamps and screws. For Concours Purposes you may want to substitute the correct strap clamps and correct round head screws (DIN 86) -- see photos below.
Attachments
Screw DIN 86.jpg
Screw DIN 86.jpg (5.4 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Split boot Febi.jpg
Split boot Febi.jpg (6.15 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Strap clamp.jpg
Strap clamp.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 1562 times

John Clarke
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Clarke »

Are 'Non Split' axle boots available? If so how involved is the replacement procedure?
Jay

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

They are available. Best way is to press the tube apart. But there is a method of doing it WITHOUT pressing the tube apart. The tube does have to be off the car.
The German ones are a little thinner than the made-in-California ones that I use.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

There is a video of the installation of the solid boot with the tube attached but it involves removing the spring plate, rear brakes, backing plate, etc. and using heat to warm the boot and brute force with large screwdrivers or tire irons to force the boot over the end of the tube.

Go with the split boots or, like I did, wait until the transaxle needs work to install the solid boots.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

To clarify: the solid boot gets installed from the bell end of the axle tube; NOT from the shock mount!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Right you are, Vic. The video I've seen shows it being installed over the shock mount. A true PITA.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mike Wilson wrote:Right you are, Vic. The video I've seen shows it being installed over the shock mount. A true PITA.

Mike
I've gotta see that!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

I suck at posting pics and videos to the Talk List but maybe simeone infinitely more computer literate can find and post the video.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jon Schmid »

When Jon Bunin redid my 1964 transaxle, he used solid boots. I would never be able to install them on my own.