interesting pre A lightened 16" rims on thesamba.com

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

interesting pre A lightened 16" rims on thesamba.com

#1 Post by Eric Meyer »

8197418.jpg
these lightened Pre A rims look pretty neat. (no relation to seller... just thought they should be linked here)
Anyone ever seen another set similar? I've seen sets with round holes... (i have a set of 1949 with round holes) but I've never seen this pattern. Probably home made eh??? Thoughts?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2238822

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: interesting pre A lightened 16" rims on thesamba.com

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

It's weird, most of the race wheels were 3.5, and it's a shame someone blasted these so hard they lost all the markings, those would have been a big clue on what they started out as. For example, all the race and Carrera wheels I have seen were made by KPZ, so if these were a Lemmerz or Sudrad wheel they would probably be home made, or at least suspect.
As far as the long winded story that goes along with them, it says a lot, but really says nothing.
They look cool, but I wouldn't pay any kind of premium for them thinking they were Factory. And since he doesn't have a price, my guess would be he does think they are something special, meaning he thinks they are worth a lot of money.

It would be interesting to see a close up of what markings are left, you could probably determine the maker of the wheel based on the date, KPZ's look like this on Spyder wheels. 16 X 3.5
Attachments
spyw5n.JPG
spyw5n.JPG (49.72 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
spyw2n.JPG
spyw2n.JPG (47.19 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
spyw1.JPG
spyw4n.JPG
spyw4n.JPG (42.91 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
spyw2n.JPG
spyw2n.JPG (47.19 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
spyw7.JPG
spyw6.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

This brings up something I've wondered about - the relative location of the valve stem hole. These wheels, and the ones Adam shows, have the hole lined up to an outer slot. But the 16x3.5 pictured below on a 550A Spyder show it between slots. I think this as are most 356 and early 911 steel wheels. The early wire valve stem retainers only work when the stem is between the slots. It looks like both are correct, but why?
Attachments
2015-07-05-02-550a_15x4_ltwt.jpg
Bruce Smith

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Smith »

It's actually the lug holes that are aligned with the slots on some and between the slots on others. The value stem is aligned with lugs in both cases. Anyone have an explanation?
Bruce Smith

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

DSC_0004.JPG
Interesting indeed. I'm restoring the last Glaser that had been raced here in So. Cal. in the 50s & 60s. Unfortunately the 16" rims are missing as it was run with 15s. The car was lightened as far as anyone could, so putting it back to factory will be great fun. Thank God for Tom Birch and Robert Brocker. The Speedster seats are the real thing and were upholstered by the owner Frank Atkinson for his racing. He owned the car for over 60 years.

…………………………………………..Jim.
Jim Liberty

Reinhold Plank
356 Fan

#6 Post by Reinhold Plank »

Jim, if you need rear fenders or the tail for your Gläser restoration, let me know as I have, had to do it for one of my Glasers restorations in the past
Reinhold

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

Thanks Reinhold. I got a rear clip from Trevor, and it fits perfectly. ……. Need 2 - Clear, and 2 - Red turn signal lights, and 1 - Sun Visor. ...Jim.
Jim Liberty

Frank Barrett
356 Fan

#8 Post by Frank Barrett »

Back in the early 1970s, Stoddard was selling 16" wheels (3-1/2"" wide?) with alloy rims and steel centers. I bought several (for maybe $25 each) then sold them on later. I guess they were from Spyders.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Frank Barrett wrote:Back in the early 1970s, Stoddard was selling 16" wheels (3-1/2"" wide?) with alloy rims and steel centers. I bought several (for maybe $25 each) then sold them on later. I guess they were from Spyders.
Frank, you should have bought them all, I sold a set last year for $20,000. Wish I had some more.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan

#10 Post by Eric Meyer »

I've got this other weird set of drilled rims...... from 4/49 (or possibly 7/49 ?? ) that are 4x15".

hopefully someday I'll find an appropriate coachbuilt car to go with them....

(the last few shots show the rims as I bought them... with a weird textured sandblasted look paint
... and then after I painted them (in the first shot)

PIC00089.JPG
odd wheel 2.jpeg
odd wheel 4.jpeg
odd wheel 3.jpeg
odd wheel 2.jpeg

Eric Meyer
356 Fan

#11 Post by Eric Meyer »

Jim Liberty wrote:
DSC_0004.JPG
Interesting indeed. I'm restoring the last Glaser that had been raced here in So. Cal. in the 50s & 60s. Unfortunately the 16" rims are missing as it was run with 15s. The car was lightened as far as anyone could, so putting it back to factory will be great fun. Thank God for Tom Birch and Robert Brocker. The Speedster seats are the real thing and were upholstered by the owner Frank Atkinson for his racing. He owned the car for over 60 years.

…………………………………………..Jim.

Jim... drilled 16's would look great on Frank's car! Go for it!... or just buy a new set and drill them! I'm presuming this is the same Frank Atkinson from Atascadero CA(RIP)... with all the crazy stash back in the day...

He woulda put drilled rims on that car in a second! He was an interesting fellow... with quite the eclectic treasure.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#12 Post by Jim Liberty »

Eric, that's the Frank A. Just owning a car for 60+ years puts him in a class by himself. Yes, RIP to him. ………………...Jim.
Jim Liberty