Problem with cyl. 2

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ingemar Sward
356 Fan

Problem with cyl. 2

#1 Post by Ingemar Sward »

Hi
I have 356C engine in my Porsche 356 -65 and as long I can remember I have always problem on cyl. 2, after a long parking in the garage e.g winterperiod (Sweden) the engine will only run on three cyl.
I have to change spark plug on cyl. 2 and then all works again. If the car stand for some weeks the problem occur again. I have 1720cc with weber 40IDF.
Any ideals from 356 friends

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Re: Problem with cyl. 2

#2 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Have you done a compression test or leak down ?

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#3 Post by Richard Shilling »

While there is a whole list of possible causes, one quick and relatively cheap possible fix is to buy a new spark plug connector and remove, unscrew the old one, install the new one and give it a try. If that doesn't work we can give you the list. Do you have access to a 356 mechanic?
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Maybe swap plug wires from 1 to 2 and see if the problem goes to #1 ?
Last edited by Martin Bruechle on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#5 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Check the gap on the problem plug your piston may be hitting it a bit closing the gap some.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Hussey »

could be that you have a gas drip when the car sits and therefore the plug fouls. Try removing the plug and switching with the one next door and try to start
George Hussey

Ingemar Sward
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ingemar Sward »

Some More fact on my motor, I had this problem sence 1988 with my engine and have always change the sparkplug on cyl. 2 and then it work again.

New Pistons and cylinders are installed (shasta)
Ignitor system
New ignition cabels
New dist. Cap
New rotor
Have try Bosch spark plug same problem
NGK B7HS same problem
Maybe it Will run rich on cyl. 2 ?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#8 Post by David Jones »

Ingemar, next time it happens and you pull the plug take a picture or two and post here. Is the plug fouled with a black deposit or is it wet with fuel? Lots of tests you can do to narrow down the cause.
As it is Cyl #2 it would be easy to just swap #1 and #2 ignition wires at distributor and plug end before doing anything else when it fails to ignite on #2 and see if the problem transfers to #1. If it does then it is the plug wire. If not then you can suspect the plug but do not rule out an air leak that initially causes the lack of ignition, then because the engine did run and warm up the air leak closed up so a plug change was coincident with the problem cause. One can conjecture all day but logical troubleshooting is the only real solution to a real problem.
I would also suspect the possibility of a glitch in the ignitor system as because of their construction with 4 magnets passing an inductor it is possible that in manufacture one magnet could be less efficient than the others at generating the required signal to the sensor and failing to deliver an adequate spark with a cold engine and this would be especially true on a cold 6 volt system start. Try reverting to the stock ignition and see if it starts better.
You can also rotate the rotor on the distributor shaft and see if the problem moves to another cylinder to test if the rotor is functioning correctly on all cylinders.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

David; you mean the igniter rotor; right?

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Bruechle »

I meant 1 - 2 not 3 - 4. Lol
Ingemar Sward wrote:Some More fact on my motor, I had this problem sence 1988 with my engine and have always change the sparkplug on cyl. 2 and then it work again.

New Pistons and cylinders are installed (shasta)
Ignitor system
New ignition cabels
New dist. Cap
New rotor
Have try Bosch spark plug same problem
NGK B7HS same problem
Maybe it Will run rich on cyl. 2 ?
After all that probably the carb ? Like George said ?

After sitting, you could try swapping plugs before trying to start it, to see if the issue moves to a different cylinder.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#11 Post by David Jones »

Vic, I meant the sensing rotor that sits under the ignition rotor. There are 4 magnets embedded in it and if one is weak or perhaps slightly out of position it could maybe not generate enough of a pulse with 6 volts on a cold engine. Once the engine has been run even if only for a few minutes enough heat could be generated to allow a new plug to fire. The original plug could have been wetted by the incoming charge and simply replacing it may be all that is now needed to enable ignition. I may be reaching a little but anything is possible without doing a hands on diagnosis. Little bit of straw clutching here I am afraid.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#12 Post by Wes Bender »

Considering that it's long distance troubleshooting, David, I think that most of the suggestions are straw clutching. There's no substitute for hands-on troubleshooting in my book. The possible reasons for a single cylinder to have a problem are so numerous that it's almost futile to guess at individual causes. The suggestions for isolating the problem by switching units around are good troubleshooting tips. Compression or leak down test is a good suggestion too. A few minutes spent hands-on can tell an awful lot about where the problem lies.

(My $.02, but I'm sticking to it......)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Ingemar Sward
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ingemar Sward »

As i wrote the problem has occur Sence 1988 so Rhen I change to new cylinders and Pistons to fix the problem but same
Problem on cyl. 2
From the besinning I had ordinarie points from Bosch and
Change to Ignitor still problem with cyl. 2

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#14 Post by David Jones »

Switch carbs from side to side as they seem to be the common denominator. You can start and run the engine by manual throttle application.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ingemar Sward
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ingemar Sward »

I also have this problem with Zenith carb. on cyl. 2 and with old and new cyl. and pistons. I change carb. to Wber 40idf still same problem with cyl 2. I have seen one new idea here I will change cabels and see if problem move to cyl 1 or solve the problem
I Will give you feedback