Help! Engine Oil Cooler

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Julian Butcher
356 Fan

Help! Engine Oil Cooler

#1 Post by Julian Butcher »

Hi All.

I took my 1962 356B 1600S to a local mechanic (BIG mistake) for a engine bearing failure repair. Work was done and the car runs fine now. While the engine was out the mechanic ordered and installed a new High Efficiency engine oil cooler ... the mechanic didn't ask for my approval and the original cooler was working fine. I live on Vancouver Island (not in Arizona or California) so I don't think I would have a cooling problem. Do the experts recommend changing the original engine oil cooler for a new High Efficiency unit???

Said mechanic also changed the original engine cooling fan for one that has welding fins. Again, the mechanic didn't ask for approval / permission. Do the experts recommend changing the engine fan for a welded-fin unit???

Thanks, Julian

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Help! Engine Oil Cooler

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

In both cases, I'd say the wrench did everything right. EXCEPT asking the customer.
Shame on whoever presumed to do so without permission.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

Julian Butcher wrote:Hi All.

I took my 1962 356B 1600S to a local mechanic (BIG mistake) for a engine bearing failure repair. Work was done and the car runs fine now. While the engine was out the mechanic ordered and installed a new High Efficiency engine oil cooler ... the mechanic didn't ask for my approval and the original cooler was working fine. I live on Vancouver Island (not in Arizona or California) so I don't think I would have a cooling problem. Do the experts recommend changing the original engine oil cooler for a new High Efficiency unit???

Said mechanic also changed the original engine cooling fan for one that has welding fins. Again, the mechanic didn't ask for approval / permission. Do the experts recommend changing the engine fan for a welded-fin unit???

Thanks, Julian
Those are improvements for sure, it's nice that he did it for free...if not, that adds quiet a bit to the bill without asking.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dan Epperly wrote:Those are improvements for sure, it's nice that he did it for free...if not, that adds quiet a bit to the bill without asking.
I assumed (for shame!) an additional cost absent customer approval. If it those changes were done 'free', then your wrench deserves a Christimas card.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

Did he return your old parts to you?

Julian Butcher
356 Fan

#6 Post by Julian Butcher »

The original cooler was returned but the fan core was sent in exchange for the new welded-fin fan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

OK, let's all back up a bit here.
Julian, this is obviously your first interaction with the folks here, and there is a ton of knowledge available here. Welcome.
I think we need more background from you on what was contracted and how that was contracted; what did you request your wrench to do and under what notifications?
When Alan ran The Stable, I expected a call or email if he was spending a couple hundred of my dollars on my car, but he was also authorized to do so if he couldn't get hold of me that afternoon. What agreements did you have with your mechanic, and did the mechanic violate them?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Why did the bearings fail? What else was changed on the engine? How many miles had the existing oil cooler on it. Any chance it needed a clean? I know that the additional items aren't great on top of a big bill but these are jobs people would recommend doing while the engine is apart.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I'm assuming the old cooler was probably full of bearing material. Replacing it was the safest bet.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Let's say he didn't replace the cooler and the dirt in the old cooler made your new engine fail. Would you care?

Let's say he didn't install a welded fan and it flew apart destroying the oil cooler and the sheet metal and other parts. Would you care?

I wouldn't do that job at all without a new cooler. The fan is a good idea too.

Your mechanic saved you money.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#11 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Julian, I’m with CJ on this one. The mechanic or shop could have sent you a text to alert you, which you would most likely authorized the replacement parts. Just express your disappointment with preauthorization. If it was my shop I’d offer to remove the pieces and install your old parts and request a release from future failure. My 2 cents worth. Wishing you many miles of driving your 356.
Rusty
Rusty

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#12 Post by Richard Shilling »

Basically this is a communication problem, not a mechanical problem. What he replaced was reasonable - based on what we know, and there's a lot we don't know. Why did the bearings fail, what else was wrong, etc.

But the real issue is what did you instruct the mechanic and what did the mechanic understand the instructions to be? It was not uncommon, back in the day, for customers to toss off "Do it right", or "Go ahead and just fix it", and then complain if the bill was higher than they thought it should be. When California founded the Bureau of Automotive Repair, they required customer notification and eventually we all got used to getting permission. It was a pain at first, but ultimately eliminated a lot of arguments.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey