Better brake light switch.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
B Friedhaber
356 Fan

Better brake light switch.

#1 Post by B Friedhaber »

The 911 brake light switch is very expensive and does not like the amps from a six volt system with extra lights in the grilles. Mine did not last long. A very well built switch was on by Harley and I put one pn my 64 c. Working great. Lights come a second or rwo earlier than a pressure switch. I just found it on Amazon. It is Emgo and cost $10.38. Easy to install within the pedal box using the spring to pull on the switch. Bruce Friedhaber
Bruce Friedhaber

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Better brake light switch.

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the tip, Bruce. I think there was an article and perhaps a thread on using this type of switch.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#3 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I looked up the switch described and I'd be curious how you install it. I'm not a motorcycle guy so the mechanism is foreign to me. My guess would be: the switch is normally open at rest - you clamp one end to a fixed point, one end to the pedal arm, and pressing the pedal makes contact? The spring takes up any movement beyond the switches range?

https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Brake-Light ... B0045LA6D6

I was one of the chumps who used a 911 brake light switch. It's $50 so 1/5 of that is a good bargain. Mine hasn't had any trouble at all with voltage or otherwise since installing, though.

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#4 Post by Kevin Wills »

I did mine with a microswitch and a few scraps of wire and sheet metal. It turns on as soon as you touch the brake pedal, before you even get to the braking part. Not meaning to hijack the thread, just another way to accomplish the goal...
Attachments
IMAG0036.jpg

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

No apologies required; as PreMat, I'm looking for the 'no new holes' solution to decent brake lights. This won't do it, but when someone does find the way, they will get credit and some monetary consideration.
Switch mounting is pretty much a gimme; pick the design with the simplest bracketry. The "missing link" regards finding the wires inside the car and a way to isolate them to the new control switch.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#6 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Ron LaDow wrote:No apologies required; as PreMat, I'm looking for the 'no new holes' solution to decent brake lights. This won't do it, but when someone does find the way, they will get credit and some monetary consideration.
Switch mounting is pretty much a gimme; pick the design with the simplest bracketry. The "missing link" regards finding the wires inside the car and a way to isolate them to the new control switch.
The installation i did uses a metal bracket that slips under the nut for the pedal cluster. The wires you just pull inside from the firewall and reroute to the switch. The 911 switch uses the same size spade connectors as the stock hydraulic switch. Just put a plug in the hole in the firewall and its Completely reversible. No new holes. I just left the hydraulic switch in place. If you wanted to get really fancy you could wire it up as a backup in case the mechanical switch failed.

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#7 Post by Kevin Wills »

I ran the wires to the harness behind the footboard, so no extra wires outside. It taps the power wire and then taps the wire to the brake lights (both soldered, not actually using a crimp wire tap - although you could), so the existing switch just stays in place and can work, or not work, either way there are brake lights.

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#8 Post by WilliamVaughan »

In a C you move the existing brake light switch wires to the pedal switch. If you have put a 911 / 912 dual circuit master cylinder, with its pressure imbalance sensor switch (hydralic circuit failure detect switch), you can wire that switch in parallel with the parking brake warning light switch.

I had changed to 12 volts so the possibility that (a set of more than just quantity two) 6 volt tungsten lamps, with their high (10x) inrush current, would damage the 911 brake light switch contacts did not occur to me.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

Here is a very good thread with ideas from myself, Robert, and others. My posts have a crude drawing of the bracket and pictures. The switches are on 3 of my cars and are working very well and have not needed attention. Most importantly I have not heard squealing tires behind me since I made the conversion. This is more effective than a third light attached to a slow to function switch. If you still want to reduce amperage then change to LED lights.

look closely at page 2

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37532&hilit=brake+l ... h&start=15
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion