New 356C Clutch Cables Too Long?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Carter
356 Fan

New 356C Clutch Cables Too Long?

#1 Post by Greg Carter »

I ordered a Stoddard 356C clutch cable (6mm and 7mm ends for a C / SC) and, after getting it installed today, I can't get the clutch pedal adjusted to the correct free-play.

I'd read somewhere that the new clutch cables were too long and it appears I'm having a problem related to this. I have the cable adjusted all the way, to it's shortest length, and my clutch pedal free play is still way too much. Additionally, while I didn't try and drive the car, I'm almost positive the clutch isn't releasing.

I replaced the flexible sleeve (Bowden tube) as well and have the same amount of bend as the old one right now. I might be able to put a little more bend in the sleeve but doubt they will solve my problem.

My old cable was pretty much adjusted all the way but the clutch seemed to work just fine.

Any thoughts?

Greg

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: New 356C Clutch Cables Too Long?

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Did you compare the old one with the new?

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Carter »

Mr. Skirmants,

You know, I didn't. I thought to do so, got side tracked and installed the new one without comparing.

I may put the old one back in (it appears original) if I can't figure out what's going on with the new one.

If I take some of the bend out the sleeve (Bowden tube) will that take up or add to the slack?

Greg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Adding washers to increase the bend will take up slack. I would guess 2 or 3 washers would be OK, would take up maybe 5mm of slack. More washers may begin to add friction.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

What washers? There is an adjusting nut, which makes washers unnecessary unless you have a REALLY early VW-style set-up.

Richard Colella
356 Fan

#6 Post by Richard Colella »

You might try removing just the Bowden tube and comparing that to the old one. If the new one is shorter that would explain it.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Measure your old cable and report length. If you have the packaging for the new cable tell us the part number. If not check your order for the part number sent and report.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#8 Post by Al Zim »

If the clutch cable you removed is not frayed and all the parts as shown in the parts book are there than you need to examine the weld that holds the clutch arm to the shaft that operat4es the release bearing. With the left rear wheel off (or on a lift) have someone depress the clutch and see is the arm and the release bearing shaft both rotate together. If this exists. Replace the everything for it will continually give you trouble. zim 2018/12/17
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#9 Post by Paul Lima »

Al has a good point. My first day owning a 356 (1982) driving over the Sierra Nevada in a January snow storm, the clutch stopped releasing. It wasn't the cable as I had suspected, but the weld on the release bearing holder at the shaft was broken; arm moved but didn't rotate the release bearing.

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Carter »

The part number on the bag is:

NLA-423-401-01 "2025mm clutch cable for late 356B T6 and all 356C. Replaces 644 423 401 01

I didn't compare the old cable to the new but I did compare the 2 Bowden tubes and they appeared to be the same length. I'll pull the new cable out this weekend and compare it to the old one when I get a chance. I didn't check the part number on the sleeve thats on the cable so I'll do that as well. From my understanding, the 356C and 912 cables look the same but the 912 is slightly longer. It may be possible they grabbed a 912 cable and put the wrong label on it but I doubt it.

As far as the arm, I just had the engine out and the cross shaft / arm all appear to be functioning normally. I can pull on the arm while under the car and hear the throw out bearing move and touch the pressure plate. With that, I believe there are no issues with the arm and my problem lies at the cable and / or Bowden tube.

Greg

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Hmm. My old Stoddard catalog shows C cable as 1905mm long, with 6/7mm ends.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Vic it sounds like different lengths over the years per this quote form an old link that Brad Ripley wrote: "As for lengths, over the years there have been at least three vendors with slightly different lengths measured from the very end of the threaded. I suppose the "correct" measurement would be from center of the threads. And over the years, each time we made a new catalog we came up with a new length. The current and only vendor is a German company, GEMO. Their part number is on a plastic sleeve; call me if you need a cross-ref of those numbers."
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Carter »

I'd bet if my clutch cable was 1905mm long (measuring point dependent of course) I'd have plenty of adjustment.

I'd read previous posts where the clutch cables sold for the 356C were of varying lengths over the years with many people running into the same problem I'm dealing with. I don't believe I ever read a post complaining of the cable being too short.

I'll try and pull the cable later this week and report on what I find. I'll also try and get a measurement of the original cable I pulled out tomorrow and post the numbers.

I'm curious what the actual factory length was for a new cable in a 356C when the cars left the factory.

Greg

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#14 Post by Mike Smith »

I'm curious what the actual factory length was for a new cable in a 356C when the cars left the factory.

So am I Greg
We have never been able to really tie down what the correct lengths were - In Period - They have been lost over time

Would love a copy of your list - Please Brad
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Trevor Sewell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Trevor Sewell »

Just an idea, I have found that a few cars over the years of be worked on have
had some parts altered from original, Do you still have the Long barrel adjuster
nut at the front of the cable, they are about 1 inch long and if not there will cause
you problem.