New 356C Clutch Cables Too Long?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: New 356C Clutch Cables Too Long?

#16 Post by Brad Ripley »

About the clutch cables -- each one has a different combination of threaded ends in addition to different lengths. The cable in Greg's 356C should have a 7 mm thread to the pedal end and a 6 mm thread at the clutch end. It should measure overall 2025 mm long. If it's a current Gemo product, it will have a red sleeve with their part number: 424 050.

Trevor mentions a "long barrel adjuster nut" at the pedal end. See illustration below. That nut/sleeve is part number 695-423-407-00, about 20 mm long. The lock nut against it is a 7 mm thread.
Attachments
ClutchLink at pedal.jpg
ClutchLink at pedal.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Clutch Cbl sleeve late.jpg
Clutch Cbl sleeve late.jpg (5.66 KiB) Viewed 726 times

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Benade »

I doubt if it affects the cable length, but wouldn't the C have the better double support for the pin that the cable goes through at the pedal end?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#18 Post by Greg Carter »

I still have the original long barrel but.

Mr Ripley, you mention my cable should have a red sleeve? While I don’t remember the part number I can say with certainty that the sleeve was white. I bought it from Stoddard so I assume it’s a new cable.

I’m out of town until Friday so I’ll take a look Saturday after I pull the new cable out and inspect it.

Greg

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#19 Post by Brad Ripley »

The current Gemo labels on their cables are white and include the date manufactured. In the past the plastic label tubing was red and before that there wasn't any label.

On the question of length, note there is a considerable distance of threads on both ends and some might measure just the cable portion. The 2025 mm measurement mentioned above is "end to end". With old used cables there is a "stretch factor" to consider which might influence discussion.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#20 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here's the Gemo label which is a hard plastic sleeve -- can be removed "for concourse purposes" with diagonal cut pliers.
Attachments
Gemo label.jpg
Gemo label.jpg (5.08 KiB) Viewed 551 times

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#21 Post by Greg Carter »

A quick update.

I went out last night and, instead of pulling the new cable out, I adjusted the Bowden tube to it's "longest" length. After that, I was able to get the cable adjusted so I could release the clutch pedal. It appears to be adjusted correctly as of now.

There's very little end sticking through on the Bowden tube so I can't back the adjusting nut any further really. I also doubt I'll have much adjustment, if any, on the cable as the cable stretches over time.

I'm going to play with the clevis at the clutch arm some later today to see if I can get a little more adjustment for future use.

As of now, I still haven't measured the original cable to see how long it is.

Greg