Car won’t start

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harry Fahnestock
356 Fan
Tag: 'Ruby'

Car won’t start

#1 Post by Harry Fahnestock »

I am driving my 1965 356C for the first time. Everything was fine for the first few hours. Started just fine. Runs fine. Just tried to start it again and nothing happens. Gen light comes on like normal but when I turn the key over nothing happens . Battery is fully charged.
'Ruby' 65' 356C

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

Re: Car won’t start

#2 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Look at the starter motor...there is a small wire with a female/male connection. Sometimes this wire unplugs itself and the starter can't receive input from the ignition switch. Check behind the dash for the wires to the ignition switch...could be one is pulled out from the socket. Check also to be sure all other connections at the starter are tight.
Look at the condition of the heavy cables at the battery. If you see any corrosion, cut back the cable an inch or so and apply a new or very clean, shiny clamp. The ground strap should be removed, cleaned and the area where it attaches to the body should be clean and shiny. There is another ground connection on the passenger side of the transmission that connects from a hard point on the body to one of the transmission bolts...again, remove, clean cables and both attachment areas and replace. It does wonders for the electrical flow when everything is clean.

Harry Fahnestock
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harry Fahnestock »

Geoff thank you very much. There was a black wire loose but couldn’t tell until I pulled on it. Don’t know if I got it in the correct connector hole but it starts. Gen light not working now though but I will look into that when I get home. The other holes I tried turned the starter over when they made contact. Thanks again! This Registry is phenomenal thanks to folks like you. Happy Holidays,
Harry
'Ruby' 65' 356C

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Harry C Ignition switch wiring here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46619&hilit=ignition+switch+wiring
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#5 Post by Paul Ahnell »

+1 on Geoff's advice to check that tiny wire attaching to the starter solenoid. It's a pain to "get out and get under" to check that connection and can be pretty grungy up there, but usually worth the trouble.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Harry Fahnestock
356 Fan

#6 Post by Harry Fahnestock »

Thank you all for your suggestions. Would not start again this morning but I knew where to look. Same wire had vibrated out again and with me fiddling around with it managed to detach a couple of other wires. Thanks to your directions I got everything back in the right slots and crimped a few so they fit snug.
Harry
'Ruby' 65' 356C

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#7 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Harry Fahnestock wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. Would not start again this morning but I knew where to look. Same wire had vibrated out again and with me fiddling around with it managed to detach a couple of other wires. Thanks to your directions I got everything back in the right slots and crimped a few so they fit snug.
Harry
I had the same problem when I bought mine a few years ago. I just stabilized the connection and it's been in there ever since.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#8 Post by Mike Smith »

Thanks to your directions I got everything back in the right slots and crimped a few so they fit snug.
Harry,
Take the time to Clean and Solder EVERY joint on the car and clean all the earth connections including the those Main Earth ones, that Geoff mentioned - You will Sleep Better at Night
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)