Rebuilding a 356C Pedal Cluster?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Carter
356 Fan

Rebuilding a 356C Pedal Cluster?

#1 Post by Greg Carter »

While swapping out the clutch cable on my 356C today I noticed the pedal cluster seems to have a lot of slop in it. The most wear appears to be the brake pedal, it has a lot of side to side play and basically wobbles on the shaft. I know later 356's don't have bushing on the shafts (like 911's or early 356's) so I'm not sure how to repair it short of replacing the brake pedal and cross shaft with new parts (are they even available?).

My question, is there a way to rebuild a 356C pedal cluster? Maybe have the shaft / pedals machined to accept 911 bushings?

Greg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Rebuilding a 356C Pedal Cluster?

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I believe the bushings are available from our usual sources.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Carter »

Mike,

Unless I'm missing something, there are no bushing in a 356C pedal cluster like the 911 clusters. Looking at the PET for the 356B/C the pedal assembly doesn't show that there are bushings there. Stoddard doesn't list any pedal cluster bushings for a 356C either.

Is somebody making a bushing retrofit kit for these pedal clusters to solve the worn out pedal problem?

Greg

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#4 Post by WilliamVaughan »

You are missing something.

The bushings are bronze with pockets embossed in them to hold grease.

You can replace them with thin walled plastic bushings while modifying your pedal cluster to use the 911 brake light switch.
Attachments
brake pedal parts.jpg

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Keating »

I have done about 15 pedal clusters in the past & am currently doing one now. There are very few new parts available. No bushings, crossshaft ,large washer, master cylinder rod or cluster base. The only parts found are the return spring,rubber stops, rubber pedal pads and misc.bolts & washers. Also, the roll pins went from dual to single around 1962 with the model design change.
You might be missing the washer that goes between the brake pedal and body of the cluster. If missing it will cause wobble.
You can clean out bushings and repack or make your own. That is a good suggestion for the pedal stated above but the main bushing in the cluster base is load bearing for the clutch cross shaft.
Perhaps Ab Teidmann has some parts made up but I do not think so.
Tom Keating
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#6 Post by Jim Liberty »

Tom is also a jack expert, and restorer. ….Jim.
Jim Liberty

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#7 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

I am rebuilding a pedal cluster, I added a grease fitting. Welded a nut with a grease fitting to the pedal base.
I am planning to use any of these bushings for the clutch cross shaft, I have not pulled the old bushings, so I have not decided which bushings I will use.
The brake pedal shaft bushings seem to be fine, there is no play between the pedal and the shaft.
Attachments
Pedales buje 02.jpg
Pedales 01.jpg
Pedales 02.jpg
pedales 03.jpg
pedales bujes 02.jpg
pedal freno 01.jpg

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Keating »

Hugo ,

Be sure to polish the boss where the brake pedal rides and add a little grease. Also put on the washer before the brake pedal. Very smooth brake pedal action. Tom
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Carter »

Gents,

Thanks for the replies, I obviously was missing something.

I'll have to look and see if the washer is there or not. I assume it is since I doubt the pedal cluster has been apart however, the guy who "restored" the car did slap a nice coat of gloss black paint all over it. If it's not there then that might explain the wobbly brake pedal.

I see the plastic bushings but don't know what size or where to get them, any suggestions? Also, has anybody restored these using a substitute bronze bushing?

I plan to do the 911 brake light switch modification since it's a very good one for a driver.

At this point I may be rebuilding the pedal cluster to get it all sorted out. I guess there's always another project to be done.....

Thanks again.

Greg

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#10 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Greg,
If your pedal cluster has plastic bushing it has been rebuilt. Originally the pedal cluster in a 356C has bronze bushings.
You can buy bronze or plastic bushings from American Sleeve Bearing http://www.asbbearings.com/

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tom Keating »

Look on the pedal cluster base. there are times when the washer gets stuck/rusted to the side of it. The washer goes over the boss where the brake pedal rides. It is a large thin washer & I do not remember the size without looking it up. Original parts book # 73 in pedal blowup. Tom
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#12 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Robert,
Do you have a picture of the 911 brake switch modification ?
or can you explain how you did it ?

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Carter »

All,

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it.

Mr. Karasawa, I'm not sure what bushings are in my pedal cluster. I mentioned the plastic bushings since they are shown in a previous post. With that, do you know what size bronze bushings are retired for a 356C pedal assembly from the website you linked?

Mr. Keating, I'll look tomorrow and see if the washer is there or not. If it's missing I'll have to hunt around for a replacement.

Greg

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#14 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

I bought 16mm x 18mm bronze bushings in different lengths, I still need to install those. Most probably I will need to cut to the needed length.
You mention the brake pedal is the one which has too much play. My brake pedal does not need new bushings therefore I do not know the size of the required bushings, sorry.
Most probably you are missing the washer in the brake pedal as Tom suggested.
the washer has the following dimensions:
24mm ID , 32.2 mm OD , 2mm wide

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#15 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Regarding the brake pedal cluster modification that uses the 911 brake light switch, there is a 356registry talk list thread that shows several different approaches to mounting the switch and adding the washer or similar object that actuates the switch. CJ Murray was a principal poster. Use the search feature.

The bushings in my photo are custom made to measure bushings. It would take me a while to find the sketch.