Crankshaft Pulley - What's Correct

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Crankshaft Pulley - What's Correct

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Can someone help me identify the correct crankshaft pulley for a 1960 T5 Super 90 engine? I've seen discussions about different diameters. Are there any reliability concerns when buying a used one?

From the Porsche parts catalog I only see one number that appears applicable: 53902113 . When I view new or used ones there are several differences visible. Some have numbers cast, some don't. Some have differing numbers of dimples (I assume are for balancing). Some appear silver, while others almost black, and then of course rusted (err patina). I've not been able to dig up an answer from web searches and don't see mention in 356 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity by Brett Johnson

Some Examples of Differences: By dumb luck, I broke my pulley while disassembling the engine. This caused me to investigate replacement parts, and learn that 2-hole was not correct. :o Now here I am...

Thanks for any insight.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Crankshaft Pulley - What's Correct

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Dennis:

One I recently purchased has no numbers and is like the one offered by Jim Callaway in the classified ads.

I'll check my parts manual to see if there is a part number that corresponds to any of the numbers you listed.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Per the B parts manual, the 4-hole pulley is part number 539.02.113.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

There was, about, the claim that 2-hole pulleys were reserved for 912 application. To which I subscribed until probably the last of 4 or 5 pretty doggone original C engines, all of which had 2-hole pulleys.
I don't know why the factory changed from 4-hole to 2-hole, but I do know that if the stock of 4-holers was running low toward the end of 356 production, the factory was not about to have a short run of 4-holers to maintain consistency.
(Edit: 2-hole, not 3-hole)
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I suspect the change from 4 to 2-hole might have been based on cracks developing between the holes on the 4-hole. Perhaps there was a supplemental bulletin issued on them.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mike Wilson wrote:I suspect the change from 4 to 2-hole might have been based on cracks developing between the holes on the 4-hole. Perhaps there was a supplemental bulletin issued on them.

Mike
I've seen that.

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Mike Wilson wrote:Per the B parts manual, the 4-hole pulley is part number 539.02.113.
Thanks for confirming Mike. Any insight to the correct markings? I've seen some with numbers cast into them. Some without.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

I just came from a well-known restorer's shop in Long Beach, CA and one one of the carts was a 4-hole pulley with the part number stamped on the back.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#9 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Vic Skirmants wrote:
Mike Wilson wrote:I suspect the change from 4 to 2-hole might have been based on cracks developing between the holes on the 4-hole. Perhaps there was a supplemental bulletin issued on them.

Mike
I've seen that.
The cracks or the supplemental bulletin. You imply cracks. Is there a bulletin? The web on the two hole pulley is thicker such that P43 tools of initial issue do not work without modification. I make P43 that works on both.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

I searched my copy of the supplementals that Roy Lock (R.I.P.) put together and did not find any supplements regarding the 4-hole pulley. I also searched the parts manuals. I believe the 2-hole started with the 912 engine but I don't have any evidence to substantiate that.

Ab: how much for your P43?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe