driving with lights on during the day

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

driving with lights on during the day

#1 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Does anybody do this? If so, do you believe it helps to be seen? I was out in the tub on Thanksgiving day in Indiana, which typically is not doable. I try to drive my cars year round, if snow and salt has not come into play yet. I like to get engine up to temp and tires rotating to avoid flat spotting. I drive out in the countryside to avoid the Coffee drinking, smoking, putting on make up, texting, etc. drivers. On this day, I had two extremely close (slam on the brakes and skid) near misses. After the second one I turned around and went home. I felt lucky to be able to take it out for a spin, but after that, I felt lucky to get back to the garage.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: driving with lights on during the day

#2 Post by Thomas Sottile »

maybe you should put a siren in and flashing lights I wish they would enforce the no phone wile driving law more

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I sometimes drive with the lights on during the day depending upon conditions: low light at dawn/dusk, heavy traffic on the freeway, etc. I think it depends upon the color of your car. For example, silver or other light colors may not be as visible in low light conditions as opposed to a darker colored car.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#4 Post by Edwin Ek »

The research about this is pretty conclusive- it reduces accidents. However, the research has been done on the cars driving around today- modern cars. It is an obvious thought that our (usually) 6V cars with dim lights are less efficacious in this regard.

Another obvious thought is that if every vehicle did it, the conspicuousness would be reduced, and likely the benefits too. But here in the US, that isn't a worry.

Jeff Fellman's headlights, which I don't have, by all accounts are very bright and use little current. They (or similar) would be the ones to use.

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#5 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

Robert
I drive all my vehicles with the lights on during the daytime, still, accidents will happen for sure but that one chance they see your lights could help prevent one possibly.

Herlin

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Alton »

While I'm sure lights on helps one be seen, I put 20k+ miles on a Honda 750F with the headlight always on and many drivers still didn't "see" me.

My 356A has bright H4s wired directly to the battery via relays but I'm still reluctant to drive it with the headlights on because the total load on the electrical system is pretty close to the generator's rated capacity. I'm on my third generator.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#7 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Jim Alton wrote:While I'm sure lights on helps one be seen, I put 20k+ miles on a Honda 750F with the headlight always on and many drivers still didn't "see" me.

My 356A has bright H4s wired directly to the battery via relays but I'm still reluctant to drive it with the headlights on because the total load on the electrical system is pretty close to the generator's rated capacity. I'm on my third generator.
Agreed Jim,
Back in 1987 I bought one of, if not the fastest production street bike of the day. A Yamaha fzr1000r, 0 to 100 mph in 6.1 seconds. The advantage to riding back in that time was no cell phones. I sold my Harley 4 years ago because I was tired of constantly playing defense.

Richard Zarbo
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Zarbo »

It's a different world and the data are clear that daytime driving lights save lives.
I ALWAYS drive with the lights on in any sports car. We are small, usually traveling at a brisk pace and the world is distracted now.
In the 356 I put on the main lights (SMD from Fellman) as well as the Marchal driving lights. I aim to be seen.
The rear is outfitted with Leyeren 3rd brakelight (2) and CuLayer tail lights to avoid being rear ended.
Let's stay alive to enjoy these cars to KTF.
61 D'Ieteren Roadster, 71 911, 95 993 Cabrio, 98 993 C2S, 21 Macan S

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by Mark Roth »

Jim
Just replace your H4 bulbs with leds. See one of my posts about where to get them.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#10 Post by Paul Ahnell »

I find that my stealth-black t5 coupe draws a lot of attention on the road even without headlights. That said, I still use Jefferey's headlights and tail lights during the day - belt and braces. Problem is remembering to turn them off when I shut down. Fortunately, the current draw is so low that hasn't been a problem battery-wise.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#11 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Mark Roth wrote:Jim
Just replace your H4 bulbs with leds. See one of my posts about where to get them.
Without doing a bunch of searching, where do you get the led's from?

I also seem to have one light (drivers side) that at times puts off more of a glow, than a normal light. Upon revving it seems to wake it up, but then it seems to go dim erratically. I cleaned all wiring, including to ground, but to no avail.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#12 Post by David Jones »

If you are worried about leaving your lights on after driving the car, put one of these in across the ignition and the light switch so that it buzzes when the lights are left on and the ignition is off.
https://www.amazon.com/Active-Electroni ... zzer&psc=1
SMD headlights, plug and play from Stoddard.
https://www.stoddard.com/64463110631-smd.html.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jim Alton »

Robert Thiemrodt wrote:
Mark Roth wrote:Jim
Without doing a bunch of searching, where do you get the led's from?

I also seem to have one light (drivers side) that at times puts off more of a glow, than a normal light. Upon revving it seems to wake it up, but then it seems to go dim erratically. I cleaned all wiring, including to ground, but to no avail.
I think the source Mark Roth was referring to is Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions, Ltd. They do sell a £ 60 six volt H4 replacement which has the little surface mount LEDs in about the same place as the filaments in an H4 bulb.

Regarding your dim driver's side head light:

Clearly, you have a voltage drop somewhere; it only takes 0.13 Ω to cost you one volt. The battery should give 6 volts, the generator at speed will bring it to about 7 volts.

It could be a dirty connector, a loose connector, or even bad wire although I suspect bad wire wouldn't be intermittent (and it's less likely than a bad connector).

People always say "clean the grounds" but a voltage drop on the positive side of the headlight will look just the same. However, if it affects both high and low beams it pretty much has to be the ground side--the positive side wiring's separate for the two beams. Unless, maybe it's something funny with the bulb.

Have you checked the fuses? On a 356A at least the drivers side high beam is fuse # 10 and low beam is # 11. Are the fuses held in tightly? I think you may be able to bend the tabs holding the fuses a bit. Are the fuses clean?

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ben Wainscott »

I totally agree with Richard Zarbo's comments. I also have SMD's from Fellman, and quite frankly I really don't like their ability to penetrate at night, but there low current usage makes me unconcerned about leaving them on during the day vs my H4. Since I rarely drive at night, no big thing.

One other mod I made was to wire in a buzzer as described in another post so when I turn off the car it buzzes and keeps me from leaving my lights on and a dead battery.
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#15 Post by Mark Roth »

Here's the link to my post which shows the light pattern of the bulbs.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37564
I don't know why anyone would pay more for SMDs with all the pattern and aiming problems mentioned. Also SMD have converters and relays apparently. The LED bulbs just replace the bulbs in the H4s.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)