356A headlight bucket re assembly/ bulb question.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

356A headlight bucket re assembly/ bulb question.

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Good morning,
Nothing but grief and frustration this morning. Drivers parking bulb seemed a bit weak compared to passenger side so I thought it would be an easy bulb exchange to see if that made a difference. Took out bucket re taped connections figured I would check to see if it works before re installing. Than parking light does not light at all, even with other bulbs. Yes single wire is re connected to socket and no fuse seems to be out.
So miffed! Just want to put it all back together and f it for now. Regarding the five pressure clips and two outer bezel screws. What is the sequence to get it all back together? I have tried six ways from Sunday and cannot get it right. I have done this before but it has been a long time. Clips in first then outer ring and two screws or outer ring and two screws then the five clips?
For the love of god these cars want you to work on them the way they want you to work on them!!!!!!!
P. S. why in the heck is my parking light bulb now NOT working? Sheeeeshhhhhhhhhhhh.
Regards,
Steve

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

Re: 356A headlight bucket re assembly/ bulb question.

#2 Post by Chuck Allard »

Step back from the brink Steve...

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Hall »

If the bucket is out do you have a ground connection for the bulb? Try a temporary jumper wire from bucket to ground and see if bulb works.

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi guys,
Thanks for chiming in. Yes taking the fifth step back did help.
Yes it was a grounding issue solved. GermanpParking bulb brighter, pass on that Chinese crap. Yes slightly bending the clips and reviewing their orientation helped with install.
In the past I cracked an original Hella glass and did not want to repeat. Every turn of the screws etc I am praying not to crack glass.
Happy holidays and motoring.
Steve