Replacement Parts - Rational Strategy?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Replacement Parts - Rational Strategy?

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Has anyone been able to devise a rational approach to deciding what type of replacement parts to buy?

I’ve been wrestling to create some guidelines for my current project. The choices of original (refurbished or not), NOS, Porsche Factory new, OEM, reproduction, and the associated prices, availability, and work for each have become overwhelming. I’ve fallen victim to analysis paralysis and just don’t buy parts. I need to settle on strategy so I don’t drive myself nuts. :?

My car has the original engine, transmission, etc. It think it’s fair to say it’s desirable with an S90 engine. That said, I realize it’s far from a preservation class Speedster. Some things are missing (e.g. front seats), and it needs major work just to be safely on the road. I do plan to drive the thing regularly.

I like the idea of originality, and have become obsessed with the subtleties of what’s unique about T5 seats and the correct color of grey for the fan shroud. But In some cases I don’t see I have a choice. The front floors are Fred Flinstone style (i.e. not there). The interior is all but gone as well. In these instances I think the only option is to buy reproduction. I may have a choice of vendors / quality. Once you start down this slope, do you just say “screw it”. I’ve started buying reproduction and stick with it?

The other side of the coin is engine components. For example, I need a crank pulley, oil breather, flapper boxes. I could buy original used and refurb them. I could also go the other extreme and just ring up Stoddard and get a shiny new one. I’m sure there’s some reliability considerations I’m not aware of too. I guess it is nice to be spoiled for choice?

Surely others have come to similar crossroads. How did you choose your path and maintain your sanity? :?:

P.S. I plan to clean and fix the existing parts I have to the extent that it's possible. There are a lot of things where that are just gone or are beyond repair.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: Replacement Parts - Rational Strategy?

#2 Post by Dan Epperly »

Dennis Vogel wrote:Has anyone been able to devise a rational approach to deciding what type of replacement parts to buy?

I’ve been wrestling to create some guidelines for my current project. The choices of original (refurbished or not), NOS, Porsche Factory new, OEM, reproduction, and the associated prices, availability, and work for each have become overwhelming. I’ve fallen victim to analysis paralysis and just don’t buy parts. I need to settle on strategy so I don’t drive myself nuts.

My car is close to all original, with matching engine, transmission, etc. It think it’s fair to say it’s desirable with an S90 engine. That said, I realize it’s far from a preservation class Speedster. Some things are missing (e.g. front seats), and it needs major work just to be safely on the road. I do plan to drive the thing regularly.

I like the idea of originality, and have become obsessed with the subtleties of what’s unique about T5 seats and the correct color of grey for the fan shroud. But In some cases I don’t see I have a choice. The front floors are Fred Flinstone style (i.e. not there). The interior is all but gone as well. In these instances I think the only option is to buy reproduction. I may have a choice of vendors / quality. Once you start down this slope, do you just say “screw it”. I’ve started buying reproduction and stick with it?

The other side of the coin is engine components. For example, I need a crank pulley, oil breather, flapper boxes. I could buy original used and refurb them. I could also go the other extreme and just ring up Stoddard and get a shiny new one. I’m sure there’s some reliability considerations I’m not aware of too. I guess it is nice to be spoiled for choice?

Surely others have come to similar crossroads. How did you choose your path and maintain your sanity? :?:

P.S. I plan to clean and fix the existing parts I have to the extent that it's possible. There are a lot of things where that are just gone or are beyond repair.
My approach is to preserve as much of the original car as possible but have it shiny in the case of my 63 B I reused the original interior panels and all the handles and switches, just cleaning them up not replacing. Same with my deco trims, light fixtures, etc.
If the original stuff was to far gone, I had it replated.
If it was way too gone, like the west upholstery and headliner and carpets, then I replaced them with repros.
With other cars, I went full patina and sought out original but worn stuff to match the original but worn paint. To me it doesn't look right of you have a scuffed up exterior and super clean repro interior.
My point is chose a theme and run with it.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I completely agree with Dan's advice especially his last statement. When I restored my car, I tried to use as many original parts as possible, having them refurbished as needed. It adds value to the car. In some cases, original parts may no longer be available so you will have to go with good reproduction parts. You will also have to factor in the time and cost of restoring some parts like the flapper boxes vs. buying new ones.

If you are looking for specific original parts, there are several of our vendors that probably have them or check out the Samba or place a Wanted ad in our classifieds.
Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#4 Post by Edwin Ek »

Deleted.
Last edited by Edwin Ek on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Bryan »

Dennis - Mike said it above, but I'll repeat - place a 'What to Buy' ad in the classifieds for original parts - it's amazing what people have stashed away.
Also, make a list and come to the Lit Meet and Swap in SoCal in early March. There is an amazing amount of stuff for sale, often at reasonable prices, and it is a fun weekend, too.
Greg Bryan

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#6 Post by Jim Clement »

a big two thumbs up for the lit meet approach.
get a big shopping list and see what you can find. Between the lit meet and the swap meet the next day, tones of things to buy.. and no shipping costs
I bought a correct distributor, suspension parts, and a host of smaller parts, all refurbished originals. then a lot of repro parts where it made sense to me..
another great thing is seeing some of the cars at the high end places.. (European Collectibles, Willhoit) to try and aspire to.

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Years ago, when I restored my '59 coupe, I really I wanted to get it running and driving, so I used a bunch of repro parts.
But over the years, I have found original parts and replaced those repro's. Not much repro stuff is left now.
This approach makes your car an interesting project for quite some time. Very fun!
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Bryan »

I also used Dan's approach. Unfortunately, the PO had removed a lot of the original stuff from my car before I bought it and replaced it with s%#t, for the most part. I used a mix of repro parts where it made sense to do so, bumper guards and deco strips, and found original stuff to restore, hood ornament, parking and tail light housings, hub caps and interior bits and pieces, rear deck grills.
Greg Bryan

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bruce Smith »

For the most part, the fully restored cars are still getting the biggest money. And to get close to a #1 car, restorers aren't compromising on any individual component. You can see this at the high end auctions were the nicest cars that fetch the highest prices usually have plenty of reproduction parts. So that's evidently the answer if you simply want to restore your car for value. Otherwise, IMO, it's personal preference what we want to do with our cars to make us happy. I'm working on a nice T5 cab with plenty of original parts. As long as I own it, it will probably be a driver. For things that need work I am 1) trying to use the original parts if possible, 2) look for good replacement originals, or 3) not worrying too much if #1 or #2 don't work out if a good aftermarket or OEM parts are available. These days there's usually enough info. around to decide whether a particular aftermarket part is any good. Mine is a nice car but there is nothing particularly special about it. So each improvement enhances its value. If the next guy needs it to have all original parts, that can be his project.
Bruce Smith

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Bruechle »

I've been upgrading parts from used to used. Recently got a rear view mirror from Adam. My old mirror needs silver.
Now it can can be sold for close to the same price as the one I bought.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#11 Post by Richard Shilling »

There are probably a lot more in the Vendor Section, but both Gary Emory: http://www.partsobsolete.com and Adam Wright at Unobtainum Inc. have piles of parts. Figure what you need, send them the list and see what they come back with. Then decide if you want to go with old, used, original or new repro.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#12 Post by Jim Liberty »

NOS, refurbished original, after market. In that order. Jim.
Jim Liberty

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dan Epperly »

Jim Liberty wrote:NOS, refurbished original, after market. In that order. Jim.

Succinct and to the point. Too bad there is so little of the first choice around.

chris romney
356 Fan

#14 Post by chris romney »

Jim did a great job summing it up. Unfortunately, as the value of our cars has gone up, there are no parts cars anymore so original parts have become both harder to find and much more expensive. As you get into your project you'll find that some reproduction parts are very well done, while others aren't that close to the originals. For example, if you look at the underside sheet metal available from our vendors, I think you'll find it very closely approximates the originals, works well and is reasonably priced. If you wait for good original floor pans or a battery box it may take years to get your car back on the road. Unless you're trying to win a concours, no one will ever know and you'll be able to drive your car which is the most important thing anyway. It sounds like you'll need a lot of parts so I would use as many original parts as possible, but wouldn't hesitate to use repop parts if it helped me get the car on the road sooner. You can always be on the lookout for originals and add them as time goes on. It's like a giant treasure hunt, which for me is part of the fun.

Neil Schlabaugh
356 Fan

#15 Post by Neil Schlabaugh »

Dennis, lots of good answers to the 1st part of your question. I wonder who will tackle the 2nd part. :D

How did you choose your path and maintain your sanity? :?: