64C Reverse Lockout

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

64C Reverse Lockout

#1 Post by Carl Swirsding »

Many thanks to Vic and many others for their description of how to adjust the coupling of the peace pipe to the transmission hockey stick. I can easily shift into all the forward gears. But not into reverse. After reading many postings I decided to remove the aluminum shift base and gear shift assembly. Upon examination on my work bench I discovered the hard metal tab on the gear shift lever will not go over the reverse lockout plate. One posting suggested that the spring may be pinched between the aluminum base and the lockout plate. But after disassembly and reassembly of the lockout plate the spring is properly seated and not pinched. As pointed out in some postings, I have confirmed that the lockout plate tab is pointed down and it is on the passenger side.

Is it possible that the new replacement lockout plate tab is too tall? It wouldn't be the first time I've seen aftermarket parts not be correct. Anyone know the dimension from the base of the lockout plate to top of the lockout tab?

Another possibility I can see is the nylon spring guide, that the narrow end of the conical spring rests on. I double checked the part I ordered from Stoddard as part 695.424.132.00. Can this replacement guide part be too thick? Or maybe this part is the wrong part for a '64 C Karman Coupe?

Or I'm missing something right in front of me. I look forward to your guidance and suggestions. This forum is a life saver.

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

Re: 64C Reverse Lockout

#2 Post by Carl Swirsding »

I thought some of you might be interested in the final conclusion I came to with regards to my reverse lockout. I had a private email exchange with Doug McDonnell where we discussed various possibilities, of which all are mentioned in previous threads. After disassembly and assembly a few times, and very close inspection, I came to the conclusion that I would file down the tab on the reverse lockout. I took about 1.5mm off. Now I can get into reverse. My conclusion is that the reproduction part from Stoddard either had a tab too high, or too close to the passenger side. I observed that the rectangular opening was not centered over the aluminum casting, but shifted towards the passenger side, which made the tab a bit farther away. Now my conclusion could easily be totally wrong, but that is my observation, and filing the lockout tab was my solution. Would appreciate any feedback including telling me that what I did was crazy. I've heard it before so my feelings won't be hurt.

Doing my best to KTF,

Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

O.k. YOU'RE CRAZY! Ha! Just kidding! You solved the problem and your shift lock now works. Sounds good to me. It would be interesting to compare an original part with the reproduction.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

#4 Post by Carl Swirsding »

Mike, I totally agree, it would be very interesting to see an original part. Photos? Dimensions? Anything to determine what the factory originally produced.
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

Tarrik Shawa
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tarrik Shawa »

CAB9D7B9-6468-4CA6-AEEB-7CD2E1375D23.jpeg
CAB9D7B9-6468-4CA6-AEEB-7CD2E1375D23.jpeg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 505 times
YUP, I had the same issue with my T6B shifter. Which, by the way, took the "C" spring and plastic bushing which is totally confusing if you look in the parts book or Stoddard site. I had an original stop plate and it worked perfectly, sliding right into reverse. The aftermarket part was thicker at the base by one-tenth of a mm and the half-moon portion that the shift rod tab needs to go over sat higher. I thinned the thickness and the half moon with a file to make it work.

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

#6 Post by Carl Swirsding »

Tarrik,
Thank you so much for the photo. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. And not the only one have to file the new one down. Any chance you could give me a dimension from the base to the top of the curve on the original one? I want to squirrel that information away for the next time I replace it. Although it might be a while. Thanks, Carl
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553

gregg hake
356 Fan

#7 Post by gregg hake »

2 years ago I had the exact same issue. I also filed down the tab and, like you, was able to immediately restore my ability to select Reverse.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

I am surprised there is an aftermarket replacement. Do those wear out? None of mine ever did.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Carl Swirsding
356 Fan

#9 Post by Carl Swirsding »

Martin,

When I bought my C Coupe 27 years ago the shift lever was loosy goosey and it was easy to put it into reverse instead of 1st. I replaced the reverse stop then without a problem. 80,000 miles later I could feel that a mistake could be made and have the car in reverse instead of first. Not as bad as the 1st time. But a possibility. So that is when I started this thread because the part being sold now, well at least the one I purchased from Stoddard two years ago, needed to be filed to work.
Carl Swirsding
Los Altos, CA
'64 C Coupe #215553