Water in Oil

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Water in Oil

#16 Post by John Brooks »

Greg

I would drive it hard, park it hot, remove the oil filler cap and put a 500w Quartz work light under the engine to keep the oil hot. Put some cardboard walls up around the engine between the floor and keep it hot as possible. The water will evaporate out slowly, it's coming for combustion gasses passing the rings on the power stroke. Until the rings seal its making water.

We used to put a 100w light bulb in a cake pan, mounted on a broom handle, to keep the early 1500's warm so they would start on winter mornings.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Greg Carter
356 Fan

Re: Water in Oil

#17 Post by Greg Carter »

I drove the car for 1 hour plus yesterday afternoon (varying load, speed, RPM, etc) and then took the oil cap off after I parked it until it cooled. As of this morning there doesn't appear to be any mayo on the dip and very little inside the breather or on the bottom of the oil cap. I still wasn't able to get the temprature gauge more than a needle width or two into the lower end of the black arc but the longer driving and venting the oil cap seemed to help a lot.

I'll keep doing this for a while and see if it solves the problem.

As of right now I think there's somewhere around 150-175 miles on the car and, reading posts here, the rings on modern pistons / cylinders should normally be seated and good to go by 200 miles or so. I'm running AA biral cylinders with JE forged pistons and Total Seal rings (gapless second) so I think I fall in line with the "modern" caveat.

Greg