Seeking a shipper for a car

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chris Duerr
356 Fan

Seeking a shipper for a car

#1 Post by Chris Duerr »

Could anyone recommend a shipper to move a car from Philadelphia area to Cleveland, OH? There was a lone ranger shipper who moved Porsh cars around but I can't find his number in my rolodex. Thanks.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Seeking a shipper for a car

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Chris-
I highly recommend you trailer it yourself, shippers are a real crap shoot and once damaged, there is little recourse. My rule is if I can get there in 1-2 days I pick up or drop off myself. I've seen too many cars messed up.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

If you don't have access or are unable to transport the car yourself, the three transporters I hear the best reviews on are Intercity Lines, Reliable and Horseless Carriage.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#4 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Adam I don't know what had luck you've had but there are good shippers out there.

Avoid a broker and go straight to the recommended shippers to book direct.

+1 on Intercity Lines. They shipped my 356C from Tennessee to Virginia when I bought it. Treated the car like royalty. Wayne Carini and Jay Leno both endorse them if that kind of thing sways you. I just booked them to ship another car purchase from California to VA and I trust them completely. Each truck carries $2 million in insurance.

I have driven classic car purchases home long distance and that's the most fun and exciting. Trailering it yourself is something I've also done, and you at least know where your car is. But unless you have an enclosed carrier you are at the mercy of the weather.

He prepared to pay for the enclosed, high quality shipper. My CA to VA ship is just over $2,000.

Edit: just noticed your distance. Nashville, TN to Richmond VA for my 356 was just over $1000 at peak season. Prices retreat a bit in winter.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Sean M Rooks wrote:Adam I don't know what had luck you've had but there are good shippers out there.

Avoid a broker and go straight to the recommended shippers to book direct.

+1 on Intercity Lines. They shipped my 356C from Tennessee to Virginia when I bought it. Treated the car like royalty. Wayne Carini and Jay Leno both endorse them if that kind of thing sways you. I just booked them to ship another car purchase from California to VA and I trust them completely. Each truck carries $2 million in insurance.

I have driven classic car purchases home long distance and that's the most fun and exciting. Trailering it yourself is something I've also done, and you at least know where your car is. But unless you have an enclosed carrier you are at the mercy of the weather.

He prepared to pay for the enclosed, high quality shipper. My CA to VA ship is just over $2,000.
The minimum you will probably pay with one of the big and reputable shipping is $1500-2500. For this jaunt Chris is asking about a 400 mile trip, but it will still cost him the $1500-2000, in a trip he and a friend can do in a day.
If you don't go with one of the top 5 shippers you are in the wind with whoever shows up to try their best to destroy your car. I've seen cars balled up, slammed into each other, I even once watched a guy load furniture on top of a car, in an enclosed trailer, he paid extra for enclosed.
You can read some horror stories here:

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/201 ... -porsches/

This is my favorite, before and after.
Attachments
photo 1-2.JPG
photo 2-2-3.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Smith »

I've done it both ways. I picked up a car near Boston this summer and trailered it 350 miles to Rochester. UHaul rents a car trailer for about $60/day. With gas, tolls, and two days for the trailer (we couldn't get it back before 5PM), it cost about $250. But it was a long sixteen hour round trip that day. My son and I made a similar two-day round trip for a car in South Bend last summer trailering a UHaul. Did the same thing a while ago for a car in Mechanicsburg. But to avoid the weather (and salt) of a winter haul a few years ago, I had Reliable Carriers transport a car from NYC to Rochester, about 400 miles. I think I paid $800. I trust Reliable and have used them for several x-country transports. There is a single driver that loads your car on the truck, drives the entire trip, and unloads it to your driveway. I think Intercity is just as good.
Bruce Smith

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Chris Duerr wrote:Could anyone recommend a shipper to move a car from Philadelphia area to Cleveland, OH? Thanks.
If all the good suggestions given so far don't float your boat (or Porsche), this post by Everett Barnes on TheSamba is quite extensive including shipping engines etc.: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

The enclosed transport of my recently sold C coupe was handled by (the buyer) and he used a broker (DIY Transport) who hooked him up with Safe Auto Transport out of Roseville CA. The driver arrived two days ahead of schedule (I was given adequate notice), I handed the car off and it arrived about a week ahead of the original projected arrival date. No complaints that I am aware of.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Harry Fahnestock
356 Fan
Tag: 'Ruby'

#8 Post by Harry Fahnestock »

Chris, I just used DIY Transport to ship my 1965 356C from Minneapolis Minnesota to Reno Nevada. They were very professional and I would use them again. They ship for Hemmings and have very good reviews. DIYTRANSPORT.com
'Ruby' 65' 356C

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Harry Fahnestock wrote:Chris, I just used DIY Transport to ship my 1965 356C from Minneapolis Minnesota to Reno Nevada. They were very professional and I would use them again. They ship for Hemmings and have very good reviews. DIYTRANSPORT.com
To clarify, DIY was the broker and Safe Auto Transport was the shipper.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

George Hussey
356 Fan

#10 Post by George Hussey »

I agree, cannot beat these three for the best and most careful transport.
For the lesser cars, we usually go on USHIP.com and put it out for bid, there are ratings for the carriers and we have had good success by carefully screening them

Mike Wilson wrote:If you don't have access or are unable to transport the car yourself, the three transporters I hear the best reviews on are Intercity Lines, Reliable and Horseless Carriage.

Mike
George Hussey

Eric Wills
356 Fan

#11 Post by Eric Wills »

If shipping on the east coast, I always use Applewood Motorcar Transport. Prices are reasonable and I use them often. This fall, they were at my shop almost once a week either dropping off or picking up a 356. Great company and reliable drivers. I have been using Applewood for more than 10 years, and I won't use anyone else unless the customer handles the transport.....

www.applewoodmotorcar.com

EW
Eric Wills

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#12 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Adam Wright wrote:The minimum you will probably pay with one of the big and reputable shipping is $1500-2500. For this jaunt Chris is asking about a 400 mile trip, but it will still cost him the $1500-2000, in a trip he and a friend can do in a day.
This was not my experience. Price is dependent on time of year and of course distance. I paid less than your range through Intercity for an over 600 mile trip.

Recommend the original poster get a quote if he wants to try one of the suggested shippers (get it direct).

Not everyone has the time or resources to trailer a car themselves. It can be a fun adventure but has its share of trade-offs for the savings. It really depends on Chris' preferences.

Applewood looks like they might be worth trying!

Chris Duerr
356 Fan

#13 Post by Chris Duerr »

Gentlemen and Adam:
Thanks for tips on shippers. I got the man's name from Bill Block....thanks Bill. Adam, I would haul it myself but an 800 round trip isn't really in the cards for me although I gave it some thought. Ohio ain't the garden spot to visit in early winter. Drove from Madison, WI to the east coast in winter too often eons ago to recreate that memory in modern time. I would have to find a Westfalia van with NO heat the fully recreate the experience. And perhaps even throw in a wee hours roadside repair reconnecting the balance tube that joined the pair of Kadron carbs while in Indiana which was smartly diagnosed problem by my Dad over the telephone during a collect call I made home to inquire why the van was running like SHIT. I think paying a shipper is money well spent.
Thanks again.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

Chris Duerr wrote:Gentlemen and Adam:
Thanks for tips on shippers. I got the man's name from Bill Block....thanks Bill. Adam, I would haul it myself but an 800 round trip isn't really in the cards for me although I gave it some thought. Ohio ain't the garden spot to visit in early winter. Drove from Madison, WI to the east coast in winter too often eons ago to recreate that memory in modern time. I would have to find a Westfalia van with NO heat the fully recreate the experience. And perhaps even throw in a wee hours roadside repair reconnecting the balance tube that joined the pair of Kadron carbs while in Indiana which was smartly diagnosed problem by my Dad over the telephone during a collect call I made home to inquire why the van was running like SHIT. I think paying a shipper is money well spent.
Thanks again.
Yeah, hitting this while pulling a trailer in winter bites, I feel ya!
Attachments
snowmass.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Wayne Phears
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wayne Phears »

I would not use Reliable. I had scheduled a pick up well in advance after a rally out west. I left the car, expecting it to be picked up, but it sat for about a month while they ignored it, and all of my calls to them. Utterly and completely unresponsive. I could not have written a more indifferent script. I used Passport before he sold and was always happy. He now owns the firm again, but I have not yet used him.