Caliper Piston Removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Caliper Piston Removal

#16 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Wes Bender wrote:... but the excitement factor is much higher with compressed air.
:shock: :D

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#17 Post by Harlan Halsey »

There's not too much excitement with 125 psi compressed air if you follow the method I outlined above: limit the piston travel with wood blocks. So I always try air first. I suspect that if I lived in the "great salt North" and air wouldn't do it, then I'd be thinking about new pistons at least.
Or, you could just change to drum brakes. There's a lot less mess with the grease with those little cylinders.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#18 Post by Al Zim »

Purchase for yourself the best grease gun you can find even if it cost a lot! Later you can sue this gun to properly grease your car at 750 to 1500 mile intervals as outlined in the drivers manual. When you purchase a good gun, you will notice that there are thick rubber seals on the part that fits into the grease cartridge. Find a banjo fitting that fits on the drum brake cars and a bolt that goes with it there has to be a lot of them out there. At the hardware store purchase a grease nipple that fits into the brass fitting it is 1/8 pipe. bolt it to the caliper half and plug the crossover pipe which is also 1/8 inch pipe. Fill the grease gun with water, old oil, new oil, naphtha or whatever. None of these liquids compress. The grease gun should make enough force to move the piston our. Catch everything in your oil drain pan. WE have been using oil (foolishly) because a excellent grease gun should be able to do water. al zim 2018/12/13
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/