The Maestro Harry Pellow Instruction - Changes with Time?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

The Maestro Harry Pellow Instruction - Changes with Time?

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Is the advice found in Harry Pellow books and videos still correct and timely? Has anyone uncovered any errors or misleading info? I realize the mechanics of the cars haven't changed, but certainly the availability of parts and pricing of things have.

I'm starting rebuild of a 1960 T5 Super 90 engine. Based on internet research, and advice of forum members here, I am using Harry Pellow's Secrets of the Inner Circle book and The Maestro's Engine Assembly Video as my guide.

To be clear, not a criticism of Harry at all. Just wondering if times have changed and I need to take anything into account. For example, I notice him tossing a fair number of things, and I wonder if that's still considered good and current practice. I believe the video came out in 1986.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and observations.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: The Maestro Harry Pellow Instruction - Changes with Time

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

I believe the info is still good. There have always been differences of opinion regarding some issues. I.e. Do you put two-stroke oil in the gas for the first couple of fill-ups, etc.

Of course, NPR sets are no longer available, but there are much better products out there now. I like Shasta P&C sets.

You'll probably get quite a few more opinions, but Secrets is still the bible (when used alongside the Factory Service Manual).
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

Wes Bender wrote:I believe the info is still good. There have always been differences of opinion regarding some issues. I.e. Do you put two-stroke oil in the gas for the first couple of fill-ups, etc.

Of course, NPR sets are no longer available, but there are much better products out there now. I like Shasta P&C sets.

You'll probably get quite a few more opinions, but Secrets is still the bible (when used alongside the Factory Service Manual).

You can also use the far cheaper AA Piston and cylinder kit. If you order through CIP1.com it's even less than if you order through AA itself.

Steven Clarke
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steven Clarke »

Dennis:

As mentioned already, the 2-stroke motor oil might not be such a good idea. You can read my story here:
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... 0&start=15

In my case it was probably a case of tight valve guide clearances, but the oil didn't help.

As St. Harry would say,
KTF,
Steve

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Harry liked to throw away original distributors and replace them with the aftermarket Bosch 050 distributor which is OK but it would be a better idea to get your original rebuilt for an original car and engine. He also liked to replace the original carbs with Webers which entails a lot of work to get the linkage and jets correct. Nowadays it has to be a better idea to install whatever was original to your car, Zenith or Solex depending on engine configuration.
The difference in cost would be minimal to do it right and the resale value of the car would definitely be better.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

Don't drive the cam gear on the crank with a giant screw driver, heat it up on a stove top. Slide it on. I just rebuilt one of Harry's engines and it had six big impact marks on the gear, just like shown the video
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

Harry 'estimated' the dome volumes on NPRs, figuring them equal to the stock ones NPR copied, but neglecting to account for the larger diameter. It doesn't take a lot of measuring to find that 'estimating' the volume of a frustum does not give you usable data.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Bryan »

I had to look it up …
Attachments
Frustum.PNG
Greg Bryan

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg, any of you guys who majored in chem can leave me behind in a New York minute. Start discussing 'valances'; that was the signal for me to start napping.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Ron LaDow wrote:Greg, any of you guys who majored in chem can leave me behind in a New York minute. Start discussing 'valances'; that was the signal for me to start napping.
I was Pre-Med my first year in college, Dr. Wright was very excited, until I took my first Chem class, that was the end of that....
BBA it became.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#11 Post by Paul Ahnell »

I used Harry's "Secrets" to replace the "rear main" seal under the flywheel and to do a top-end job on my '60 Normal. No video. Small potatoes, but I found it very helpful and accurate. No issues yet after Ks of miles.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I found that his compression ratio numbers were way off.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ron LaDow »

Vic Skirmants wrote:I found that his compression ratio numbers were way off.
That's the reason I checked his dome volumes (and deck-height numbers, for that matter)
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#14 Post by Phil Planck »

Its still a good reference for those unfamliar with the nuances of these engines. For example, years ago, my first 356 engine build, I believe he suggested measuring replacement bearing thickness. Sure enough, one main was for 1st or 2nd under when I ordered std, as crank was still within as new limits. Plus, an entertaining read, at least for me. This was pre-internet, so we corresponded by mail and phone.

At one time, Bill Block was putting together an updated version which would incorporate current thinking and parts usage.
Phil Planck

gregg hake
356 Fan

#15 Post by gregg hake »

When I began my "B" rebuild, I had zero knowledge of rebuilding an engine, so Harrys tapes were extremely valuable in telling me what to do first, second, etc... And then after I had the machining done and new parts purchased, it told me what sequence to put it all together. I had the videos running the whole time I rebuilt my motor.
Of course, I used local 356 guys and the registry faithful to give me much needed pointers and suggestions also. When details were required, I could ask for elaboration on the registry and, often times I would have an answer in minutes.