Single Stage Euro thane vs Base Coat Clear Coat

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Thrower
356 Fan

Single Stage Euro thane vs Base Coat Clear Coat

#1 Post by Jay Thrower »

My car was restored in 2006 and painted with a Glasurit 5707 in a single stage euro thane paint. The former owner had no reason for this only to say he just chose the color the shop picked the paint.
I figured that the single stage paint gives the car more of an "old school" vintage look. Is this true? I understand the base coat clear is easier to put on and repair. Other than expense, Why would someone choose single stage euro thane?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Single Stage Euro thane vs Base Coat Clear Coat

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Depending upon where you are located, you may not be able to have your car painted with single stage due to EPA regs. That said, I think some colors may show better with single stage than two-stage like silver metallic.

Overall, your painter probably has a preference and experience with single vs. two-stage and brand of paint.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

Single stage looks closer to the original paint, base clear has a thin appearance, it lacks the depth of single stage. Base clear is what new cars use.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

I still use Glasurit 22 line single stage. Polishes better and clear coats can flake if the booth is not hot enough after spraying the clear. It's easier to fix a scratch or chip in solid color paint.
Attachments
image.jpg
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

I used single stage urethane on my 64C because Sherwin Williams had the sky blue (6403) formula on file and a sample compared to the original paint was a perfect match. My "A" cars were painted with base/clear and do not look as good in my opinion.
I also believe that Glasurit and Sherwin Williams automotive paint division are part of the same conglomerate these days.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

David Green
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Green »

Is it harder to lay down metallics with modern single stage and better results with base/clear?
David

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

The metallics I have seen recently are two-stage and look great but Dan, John and David's comments are right on. I went with single stage slate gray because it looks more factory. I just have a personal issue with clear coats. How many modern cars have you seen with the clear coat wearing off and the car looks like crap?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

I am a fan of single stage for solid colors, but either type of urethane will look way too good. I think single stage can look very slightly better, but I am an expert and usually cannot tell the difference if the buffing was done superbly. As for metallics, you would have a very hard time finding a painter that can shoot single stage and have excellent results. It is very difficult and most anybody that could have done it is now 80 years old and out of practice. As for modern cars, sometimes there are problems, but done correctly the clear will not fade or peel. You will notice the 2% with trouble, but remember all the rest that look great with minimal care.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

My ruby red cab has one bumper clearcoated, rest of car single stage. You would never notice it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

I recently went back and forth with my painter, he wanted base coat/clear coat, I said single stage. The customer is always right!
Attachments
1.jpg
9.jpg
122.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jay Thrower
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jay Thrower »

Adam, I feel the same way, car looks great.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#12 Post by James Davies »

Martin Benade wrote:As for metallics, you would have a very hard time finding a painter that can shoot single stage and have excellent results. It is very difficult and most anybody that could have done it is now 80 years old and out of practice.
This is very true, and is was true over 60 years ago as well. When Reutter switched to synthetic enamel paint for the 1956 model year, the factory painters were having all sorts of problems with the metallics. Aquamarine metallic was one of the most popular colors, and it was the one with the most problems. Many cars had to be stripped down and repainted at the Reutter factory. This cost Reutter lots of money, and Porsche was not happy. So for 1957, they got rid of all metallics except for Silver metallic.

Frank Jung covers this little saga in his wonderful "Porsche 356 by Reutter" book, which I hear is coming out as a 2nd edition soon.

Jonathan Trichel
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jonathan Trichel »

Single Stage Glasurit 22 Royal Blue. iPhone picture. No filtering or editing. I think it’s deeper than clear.
Attachments
80CCF922-C9AC-462D-9E87-6B2523C51032.jpeg

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bruce Smith »

These are all single stage, including the Chevy. To me, base/clear is hard to get right for a vintage car. Too much clear and the gloss is too high and shallow. I sold my '67 MGB GT which had an exceptional base/clear paint job. I never cared for the way it looked.
Attachments
20180921_170009 (2).jpg
101_4029.JPG
101_4113.JPG
Bruce Smith

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#15 Post by Bruce Smith »

Here's the '67 MGT GT. I think the difference between base/clear and single stage can be picked up by comparing the photos. The gloss in the MG is very nice but way too much with probably excessive clear applied. It sold on BAT for a huge price and I'm sure the shiny paint had a lot to do with it. So it's a matter of personal preference.
Attachments
67MGBGT_101.jpg
Bruce Smith