Electric Sunroof BT6 parts and procedure to reinstall

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

Electric Sunroof BT6 parts and procedure to reinstall

#1 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi all,
I'm currently checkcing the parts for my electric sunroof on my BT6
I received the parts in a box, but I need 1/ to check if it is complete 2/ to have details on how to replace all these parts together and fit it on the car

I believe that I have most of the parts, but looking at the PET I'm not sure about some of them :
#4 (Reinforcement Roofliner frame)
#8 (Guide with Slide)
#12 (Sealing rail)
#15 (Rail Reinforcement)
#16 (Rubber plate)

Do you have some pictures of them so I can check if there are somewhere in the other boxes ? As I know that parts are difficult to procure, I will have may be to rebuild some, your pictures will be very helpfull.

In addition, I have already the Workshop manual & Supplement for BT6 but there is no detailed procedure on how to reinstall the sunroof on the car. Do you have some trick / document that will halp me ?

thank you so much

sunroof.jpg
sunroof.jpg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 898 times

some pictures of what I have :
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_2021.JPG (507.74 KiB) Viewed 898 times
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2321.JPG (539.54 KiB) Viewed 898 times
IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG (522.23 KiB) Viewed 898 times
IMG_2359.JPG
IMG_2359.JPG (428.59 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Electric Sunroof BT6 parts and procedure to reinstall

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Permanent sunroof sticky is 1st post in Authenticity corner. Great info and pictures there to start you on your way.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi,
thank you for the link, I found very interesting information

Looking at my sunroof frame and checking with pictures on the web, it appears that is doesn't look the same : the "curved" part is missing
Do you have some information about that ? Is my frame not original and then do you have an idea where does it come from ?

My car is at the bodywork shop, I can't test if it fits or not. I post also some pictures of it, work in progress !

thank you
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_2021.JPG (187.38 KiB) Viewed 825 times
161720.jpg
161720.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 825 times
IMG_3281.JPG
IMG_3281.JPG (284.28 KiB) Viewed 825 times
IMG_3411.JPG
IMG_3411.JPG (283.25 KiB) Viewed 825 times
IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG (252.36 KiB) Viewed 825 times

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Hi,
It seems that the frame I got with the car is for a 912, not compatible with the 356
I decided to rebuild one based on the info I've got. I prepared the parts and before final soldering I need some info

Can someone confirm how the frame is fixed to the sunroof and if it should be inserted in the guide rails ?
the Guide rails have 2 tracks, one for the cable and the guided part fixed to the sunroof, the other is for the frame I imagine, right ?
then I understand that 2 screws are used to fix the frame to the front structure of the sunroof, anything else ?

if you have some details on how insert it I would be very gratefull !

thank you

IMG_4255s.JPG
IMG_4255s.JPG (174.31 KiB) Viewed 717 times
IMG_4252.JPG
IMG_4252.JPG (163.71 KiB) Viewed 717 times
IMG_4251.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG (163.05 KiB) Viewed 717 times
IMG_4254.JPG
IMG_4254.JPG (143.32 KiB) Viewed 717 times

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Hatfield »

If you haven’t gathered already, correctly installing this and having it work properly might well be the hardest thing you have ever done. Period.
To begin, yes the headliner does slot into the lower channel in each side rail. But first you must master the art of gently deforming the rectangle without the center stuffing sleeve installed as practice and before headliner material is attached.
You are also correct that this frame is attached to the moving roof only by two Phillips head sheet metal screws at the far corners leaning edge projecting straight up into the moving roof subframe and installed after the rectangular headliner frame is covered with material by stretching and gluing the four sides to the frame but leaving off the center stiffing sleeve. It’s the ONLY way the frame can be inserted into the left and right channels. This is done with the roof all the way open.
With the frame inserted but roof still wide open, from outside the car, the center sleeve can now be installed on the center “blade” capturing the fabric panel sewn to the underside of the headliner that has been glued to the frame as described above.

Notes: Leave at least 1/2” exposed on each side when gluing fabric to the frame to enable smooth sliding within the channels.
Also predrill small starter holes through the frame for the screws at the leading edge corners of the frame and on into the roof subframe before covering the frame and allow some tolerance for the thickness of the fabric which will be wrapped over the leading edge of the frame when installed.
Also once the frame is wrapped and trial fit, remove and apply a thin layer of door Latch white stick lube to promote smooth travel on the frame in its lower channels. You will note that the car’s headliner interior provides some screening of the panels figment, but not a lot so be careful not to get messy with dirty hands and excessive lube.

This is only one of the very many challenges you will encounter. But take your time, be well rested, have good light and “watch the paint”
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Hatfield »

I should also note that the above steps can only be taken after the sunroof with all of its hardware including greased cables are installed and working under power. Additionally also after the fabric headliner is in place on the chassis. In other words installing the covered frame is the final step and should not be attempted in any other order to avoid damage of confusion on the part of the installer. (I went through two headliner kits learning the hard way.)
Also, Incase there’s any doubt headliner and sunroof install comes after paint but before glass. Stoddard sells a foam underlayment kit specifically for the sunroof on T-6 cars which makes headliner fitment much more contoured.
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Your car appears to be a sunroof clip added since I don’t see any rear drain ports just aft of the quarter window openings (standard on T-6). Depending on the capability of your body people and if the car is still unpainted, now is the time to consider having this work done. If not, it will forever be recognized by most as a sunroof clip. Just sayin’
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alexis Collaud »

thank you steve, very clear and usefull. Thanks to your comment I finalized the frame this afternoon
The sunroof option is not mentioned on the COA therefore you are confirming that it had beed added later
The paint is not yet applied, any info or spec about those drain ports ? My body workshop is not specialized in 356, if possible I can ask them to add those drains

thank you !

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Hatfield »

To acquire drain configuration details you will have make contact with someone in the process of restoring a similar car with factory drains but with open access to the unfinished interior to enable photos of inside plumbing both front and rear of the drains. My car is finished and therefore cannot help in this except with close-up photos of the exterior rear ports which I will post soon.

It’s ironic that you are French and that my car came to me through Sonauto as noted in my avatar.
Steve
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Alexis Collaud
356 Fan

#10 Post by Alexis Collaud »

Again, thank you Steve
If someone read this post and have some description / images, let me knbow :)

John Pierce did a very detailed post where I beleive I can find most of the info (P63 and 64)
https://www.abcgt.com/new-forum/forum/m ... ild/page63

It seems that these drain tubes are no more available, and without a model it will be difficult to rebuild
If not I will install a flexible tube instead ...
To be continued

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#11 Post by JohnPierce »

Let me know if you need any more pictures of the drains.
1963 B T6 Project