Dan Roman - Where are you? Help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
E Rutherford
356 Fan

Dan Roman - Where are you? Help

#1 Post by E Rutherford »

Our newest "lock & key" guy (Dan Roman) has disappeared (at least 12 months)! Numerous phone calls & emails - nothing! Can anyone shed some light on his current situation or know if he is even on the planet? I have had some great work done by him, always returned emails, but has now gone "dark". I can't be the only one with locks in Dan's possession.

thanks
ed
klasse356

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Dan Roman - Where are you? Help

#2 Post by C J Murray »

There is a pattern forming here.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

James Bensko
356 Fan

#3 Post by James Bensko »

Ed--I have had prior work done as well by Dan and/or Alicia with no problem, but it was over a year ago. They were very responsive at that time, and did good work. The address I have for them (which I assume you have) is 12220 SW 267 Ter, Homestead, FL 33032. You might try to reach the USPS Branch nearest to there and see if they're still making deliveries to that address. Don't know if they will divulge that information, but may be worth a try. It also seems the last post by Tweets on the Pelican forum was about May of 2018. Nothing since then that I could see.

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Merz »

Hey Ed,

Been having same problem with Dan and Alicia. Sent them pair of early 911 door lock cylinders for repair last April and they've pretty much gone dark on me also. Did finally speak with
Alicia on Sept 20 and she indicated they were having problems sourcing a reasonable chrome plater but that they would include my cylinders with some other jobs to get the price down.
Then dark again so sent another email on Nov 13 and Dan actually promptly got back to me saying experiencing health issues and chrome shop didn't come through yet. Just now fired off
another email to him so will let you know if hear anything back or not.

Dave

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#5 Post by E Rutherford »

Definitely a pattern! My last email was answered back in July of this year,
Hello Ed,
We don't have late door handles from you. What we have are two hood pulls. This is the last order you sent us.
Regards,
Alicia and Dan
I agree they were responsive and did great work, then they had the hurricane come through which set them back a bit, but that was sometime ago. If something has gone sideways, just communicate! Understanding and forgiveness is easy if you just communicate. When you don't then emotions tend to run in a different direction.

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#6 Post by E Rutherford »

I'll do the same for you Dave.

thanks
ed

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#7 Post by E Rutherford »

This is the current number I have - 786-327-2343
email - drrocketman@gmail.com

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Merz »

Yeah, lack of communication is the absolute worst! That's the same number I've got. Will try calling him again later today if no reply back to my email.

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#9 Post by E Rutherford »

Happy to report: Dan has surfaced and sent me an email outlining his disappearance. Health issues. He assured me the his system is back flowing, although his plating vendor is not up to his standards, so he is trying to straighten that out.

I am just happy he is back answering his emails AND doing his high quality work.

Dave, don't know if you had any follow up, but his is now open for business again.

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dave Merz »

I also finally got a return email from him on Thursday saying he'd been out of touch due to illness and he had contacted a new plater by email and waiting to hear back from him. Emailed me again early today saying he had sent him
a second email and would get back to me as soon as he heard something. Encouraging to finally have some communication back! Hopefully this saga ends well with getting our restored parts back in a timely fashion.

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#11 Post by Peter Boettcher »

Any updates on Dan and his business? Good, bad or indifferent. Have a lock I need some help with.

Thanks!
Peter Boettcher

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Probably trying to catch up...

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#13 Post by Peter Boettcher »

Have reached them via email and they have stated that they are trying to catch up and may be ready for new work in February. I have advised them to post an update on their status based on our experiences with Tony E.
Peter Boettcher

Daniel Roman
356 Fan

#14 Post by Daniel Roman »

Hello Everyone,
We are posting this reply at the suggestion of some fellow members. First, we would like to thank everyone for their support and patience. We would also like to apologize for our slow response time in some cases. We do not know where the rumor got started that we were out of business. We had a prolonged period of illness and also a great deal of trouble getting chrome work done. Unfortunately, we are at the mercy and time table of our sub contractors. We cannot impose our timeline upon them.

As a general rule of thumb, platers usually work on a first come first serve basis and all the reputable ones always have months of backlogs. It is not uncommon for a lead time to be quoted at a minimum of 3-6 months or even longer no matter how small or large the work order. So, to locate a shop that will perform work at show quality, reasonable price, and doesn't make you wait a year, is easier said than done. We finally located a shop last month that looks to be promising and have sent off the first batch of parts. So, we are hopeful that if all works out well, the chrome work issues will subside.

We have apprised some of the members as to why we do not post (bump our ad) for periods of time. We do not bump the ad if we feel we have enough customer orders to keep us busy for a while. We do not feel that we should take on more work just for the sake of taking on more work. It has been our experience that long holding times seem to make some customers concerned even when communication is flowing in both directions. Although we have never lost anyone's parts, inevitably some will stress more than others. We do understand this dynamic and take great care in handling customer orders and addressing concerns. The one thing we do not prioritize is phone calls. We prefer email and we have maintained email communications even if slow.

We have been diligently working through the backlog and have completed and returned many lock orders recently. We are still running a backlog and anticipate being more caught up in February (non chrome work; strictly lock work orders). We are still in the process of clearing the backlog for the orders we have sent off to the chrome shop and will continue to do so in manageable stages. We don't like having large quantities of parts sitting around in a chrome shop waiting to be plated.

Thank you all again for your patience,
Alicia and Dan
Last edited by Daniel Roman on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TWEETS Restorations -- For all of your lock and key needs
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com
Member: 914World 914Club PelicanParts TheSamba Early911sRegistry 912bbs Rennlist

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thank you, Alicia and Dan.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe