manual sunroof in 1963 C Coupe Possible?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Buxbaum
356 Fan

manual sunroof in 1963 C Coupe Possible?

#1 Post by Jason Buxbaum »

Came across a 63 B coupe for sale 211064, same owner 52 years, has a manual sunroof but no sunroof on COA. It's not easy to install a good sunroof without replacing the entire roof clip, and this car is so nice and original I can't believe that was done? Did the dealer's ever install these as an accessory?

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: manual sunroof in 1963 C Coupe Possible?

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Golde would install one for a car owner.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jason Buxbaum
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jason Buxbaum »

What do you feel the impact on value is? Less than if it had no sunroof at all, same or more?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Jason Buxbaum wrote:What do you feel the impact on value is? Less than if it had no sunroof at all, same or more?
If it's Factory it would have the drain holes behind the rear corner window, the aftermarket or post production ones usually didn't have these. It would also be noted on the COA or Kardex, if it isn't notated it isn't Factory. If it isn't Factory it wouldn't lower the value that much but it wouldn't add any value either. The only way it would hurt the value is if the car was perfect and all matching numbers, then the sunroof would be seen as a bad modification. But if the car is a regular driver probably not.
Attachments
sunroof-drain.jpg
sunroof-drain.jpg (111.75 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

If the sunroof was installed by Golde right after the car was made then I would call it a value enhancement. I actually prefer the manual sunroof because they don't break and they open and close faster.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Laettner
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Laettner »

I was told by Tom Martineau, a very knowledgeable Porsche shop owner for many years and a concours judge, that when installed at the time of purchase it is considerd concours correct. Opinions may vary, but he also likes the mechanical roof because it is more reliable. I think it would have to add to the value as a sunroof car is rarer and adds to the enjoyment of the car.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

Re: manual sunroof in 1963 C Coupe Possible? - YES!

#7 Post by Richard Shilling »

American Sunroof has been installing sunroofs for years. Give them a call and have a chat.

https://www.americansunroof.com
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Karaba »

Adam Wright wrote:
Jason Buxbaum wrote:What do you feel the impact on value is? Less than if it had no sunroof at all, same or more?
If it's Factory it would have the drain holes behind the rear corner window, the aftermarket or post production ones usually didn't have these. It would also be noted on the COA or Kardex, if it isn't notated it isn't Factory. If it isn't Factory it wouldn't lower the value that much but it wouldn't add any value either. The only way it would hurt the value is if the car was perfect and all matching numbers, then the sunroof would be seen as a bad modification. But if the car is a regular driver probably not.
I thought the drain holes by the rear windows was only an electric sunroof characteristic. I thought the manual sunroofs drained into the wheel wells or the engine bay.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

Jim Karaba wrote:I thought the drain holes by the rear windows was only an electric sunroof characteristic. I thought the manual sunroofs drained into the wheel wells or the engine bay.
Correct.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

C J Murray wrote:
Jim Karaba wrote:I thought the drain holes by the rear windows was only an electric sunroof characteristic. I thought the manual sunroofs drained into the wheel wells or the engine bay.
Correct.
Is that true for T-5 and T-6 cars??
I admit that a later-installed manual sunroof would drain like the A models, but was that true of a factory manual roof; if there is such a thing.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

The T5 that I briefly owned, then Rusty Ferrel bought, had a factory manual sunroof exactly drained like an A sunroof. Porsche didn't change the roof until the T6 with larger front and rear windows so I guess that encouraged them to go electric. I don't imagine that the factory installed anything but electric on the T6. I know that Golde installed sunroofs for dealers in Germany. It would have been easier to do a manual type. I have seen electric sunroofs on A and T5 cars with the motor in the engine compartment.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

Hey Vic, remember being in my 59 sunroof in a torrential downpour at the Boston ECH? No leaks at all, so the drain system really does work.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jason Buxbaum
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jason Buxbaum »

I received close up photos of the track and frame for the sunroof on the subject car. I currently own another 63 coupe with electric sunroof and this does not look similar in it's design at all.
Attachments
IMG_0174 (1).jpg

C J Murray
356 Fan

#14 Post by C J Murray »

That looks correct for a manual Golde.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jason Buxbaum
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jason Buxbaum »

Thank you the gentlemam selling the car has owned it for more than 50 years and verifying its an authentic sunroof will really help him value it properly. He has it on ebay amd the ad is really not informative amd the photos are minimal. Aetna w red look it up user name is rasta something or another. He called me following my inquiry and I find him to be genuine and its likely his car is very very good. He put 110k on it not sure what he will take. Of interested ping me and I will put you im touch direct