Stoddard Dansk S-Pipes / Muffler Installation Kit

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Carter
356 Fan

Stoddard Dansk S-Pipes / Muffler Installation Kit

#1 Post by Greg Carter »

Has anybody used the Stoddard sold Dansk S-pipe / muffler installation kit with an original Leistritz muffler? I need new S-pipes and clamps to replace my rusty originals but I wanted to make sure the Dansk S-pipes / clamps will install and seal on my Leistritz muffler without leaking at the joints.

I'd really like to find some good original S-pipes but haven't had any luck so this appears to be my only option.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Greg

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Stoddard Dansk S-Pipes / Muffler Installation Kit

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

Greg,

The introduced Dansk a bunch of years ago had 40mm inlet pipes which wouldn't properly clamp onto the Leistritz's 38mm (1-1/2") pipes.
It required a 1mm x 20mm strip of sheet metal (I used aluminum) shaped to the pipe OD and made sure the clamp is just squeezing the slotted inlet ends and NOT over the solid section of the inlets. Use hi-temp anti-seize on all slip joints to prevent rust. (for next R & R)

It's been awhile since I installed a later(?) Dansk as they supposedly changed the inlets to 38mm ID; Even their S-pipes were 40mm
to fit the muffler's outlet "nipples" and won't fit the Leistritz's outlets!.
Then there's the problem of previously mentioned flange fitment to the #2 & 4 exhaust ports!!!
I sometimes "lucked out" finding an OEM exhaust system(s) including S-pipes, and heater boxes @ swap meets.

Dick

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

They are junk. They leak and are a bear to install. The clamps don't crush the joint well and often the pipes can be moved by hand after the clamps are tightened. They are bent in such a way that they tend to rattle against the bumper guard funnels. Other than that they are great. Did I mention that they are really expensive?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

Dansk quality...

Before, with custom stainless tailpipes...
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0556.jpg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

Dansk quality after 10k miles...
IMG_1256.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg
IMG_1258.jpg
IMG_1259.jpg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Carter »

Hmm, well that's not good. I'm not excited about spending $200+ on parts that shouldn't cost 1/4 of that and still don't fit.

Anybody got a pair of original S-pipes that aren't all rusted out they want to part with?

Guess I might have to reevaluate my original S-pipes and see if they can be made to work as I don't want to buy a complete Dansk muffler just to get S-pipes that fit (sort of).

Are the clamps sold by Stoddard (I assume they're made by Dansk) any good with the stock Leistritz mufflers / s-pipes? At a minimum I need to replace my original clamps since they're pretty tired but don't want to buy clamps that are too large and won't seal the joints.

Greg

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jon Schmid »

Dansk quality after 10k miles...

Thank you, Cliff, for pointing out my #1 Dansk complaint for years. One would think that for $600 (or more these days) they could and would build a quality muffler system but apparently they still can't or don't. I have weld repairs and after the fact support brackets welded onto my coupe muffler and I still have a leak. My Roadster Leistritz unit is just fine.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

C J Murray wrote:They are junk. [...] Did I mention that they are really expensive?
Cliff, I have no doubt of your opinion regarding....
Not sure what: The S-pipes? The muffler?
Not arguing with you, just asking you to be clear about the specifics.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Merz »

There's no such thing as Dansk quality! Their mufflers, S pipes and clamps are all junk and none of them fit or look correct! I wish all the vendors would boycott them and refuse to buy their crap! Maybe then, they might wake up and question
why their sales are in the tank but I doubt it. I don't think they care because they feel they have a corner on the market. Your best bet is to find a good used Leistritz and S pipes and they'll fit with no problems. Last time i checked, you could
still buy the correct clamps from Porsche.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Ron LaDow wrote:
C J Murray wrote:They are junk. [...] Did I mention that they are really expensive?
Cliff, I have no doubt of your opinion regarding....
Not sure what: The S-pipes? The muffler?
Not arguing with you, just asking you to be clear about the specifics.
The first post was about the S-pipes which was the original question. I then piled on with an assessment of the overall Dansk quality.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

The "after" pictures may need an explanation.

The heat shield welds broke and leaked.

The internal baffle welds broke exposing a large hole.

All 4 inlet pipes have cracked welds.

It almost seems impossible that a product could have so many failures. Basically some engineer chose material and a welding method that are incompatible. You don't get much more basic than that. The idea that they could grasp the concept of manufacture the product to fit the car is just asking too much from them.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#12 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I run an original Leistritz on my car after replacing the Bursch extractor. Couldn't stand the empty exhaust cutouts with no rear bumperettes.

Your best bet is to find an original set of s-pipes AND associated clamps. I had a devil of a time trying to understand which pipes took which clamp sizes, so decided to make it easier on myself and buy originals. I got my clamps used off thesamba.com and AASE I believe. The s-pipes I got from a local Porsche shop that works on 356s - a good option. They may have some laying around they don't need (and had to leave off when they fitted a new Dansk in a restoration).

Mine still leak a little.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dan Epperly »

C J Murray wrote:The "after" pictures may need an explanation.

The heat shield welds broke and leaked.

The internal baffle welds broke exposing a large hole.

All 4 inlet pipes have cracked welds.

It almost seems impossible that a product could have so many failures. Basically some engineer chose material and a welding method that are incompatible. You don't get much more basic than that. The idea that they could grasp the concept of manufacture the product to fit the car is just asking too much from them.
I had the exact same experience with the Dansk on my 912 and with about the same mileage. Since I'm cheap and have a MIG welder, I'm thinking of patching mine up to see what happens. I wonder of the internal baffle weld failure makes the muffler useless though? In there words, is it impossible to repair?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

Does Dansk offer a warranty? If so, if there are issues regarding fitment or failure, theybshoukd be promptly returned to the vendor so they can "educate" Dansk as to the magnitude of the issues and, as suggested, basically boycott Dansk until the issues are resolved.

I would imagine Dansk makes mufflers for other marques. Same issues?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

I'd really like to find some good original S-pipes but haven't had any luck so this appears to be my only option. Greg
Suggest you contact Adam of Unobtanium who may have a number of good used original S-pipes in his extraordinary stash of used 356 parts.