Stoddard Dansk S-Pipes / Muffler Installation Kit

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Re: Stoddard Dansk S-Pipes / Muffler Installation Kit

#16 Post by Paul Ahnell »

I think we all agree Dansk mufflers are overpriced garbage, yet Stoddard et al continue to sell them because they probably make a good buck doing that. Shame on them. Unfortunately, the folks that buy them are usually new to the game and don't know better. The Registry should include a big, fat note along with the new-member application form warning the applicant not to buy anything Dansk and direct them to a link to this and other discussions re: Subject. Let the lawyers work on that.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dick Weiss »

There are several sizes of exhaust clamps; 40mm ID for the OEM Leistritz assembly, 42mm for the Dansk--if the inlets and outlet nipples
are 40mm OD! If the Dansk has the 38mm ID muffler inlets, the 40mm clamps should be OK.
I needn't get into the 912's large clamp for the 90 degree end pipe, but the other clamps should be the same for a Leistritz muffler.
The Dansk? Not sure about the double elbow collector ID's; Just use what's available. During past years, I've made and shaped
stronger clamps so they don't get distorted when tightening.

Jeff McDonald
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jeff McDonald »

Greg,

Zim's sells S pipe kits that fit the 38mm (1 1/2") muffler outlet. I just went through this a couple of months ago, the Stoddard S pipes didn't fit my muffler. Talk to Dennis @ Zim's.

Regards,
JMc
Last edited by Jeff McDonald on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think that any significant changes in the quality and fit of the Dansk muffler has to come from our vendors like Stoddard, et al. Although there are alternative muffler systems, most are in limited supply. Finding an original is a crap shoot as not only are they getting scarce but depending upon condition, they may need work.

If Stoddard and others push back by refusing to order from Dansk, maybe Dansk will get the message. The drawback could be that the 356 muffler is not a big ticket item for Dansk and they stop producing it. If that did occur, perhsps another muffler manufacturer would be interested in producing it.

So, since I have mentioned Stoddard, perhaps Brad or Per could weigh in and let us know if Stoddard has informed Dansk of the issues mentioned and if there has been a positive response to them.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#20 Post by James Learmonth »

For those seeking exhaust pipe clamps I have used T-bolt clamp 40-43mm, code 301911-9, from Hose&FittingSupply. They were $2.10 ea. A superior design and available in many sizes. www.hoseandfittingsupply.com You will like this product.

Jim Learmonth
65C Coupe
Houston, TX

chris romney
356 Fan

#21 Post by chris romney »

A little over a year ago I sent a Dansk sport muffler back to Stoddard for credit. It was completely unacceptable from a quality point of view. Not only did it leak at the J pipes (you couldn't tighten it correctly their with clamps as mentioned by CJ), the fit at the manifold was also just garbage. All you had to do was crawl under the car and Stevie Wonder could have seen the leaks. Stoddard asked me to send it back ASAP as the Dansk rep was about to come through for a visit and they wanted to make sure they could use my muffler as an example of the problems they'd been having. I'm pretty sure the Dansk quality problems are why they've had Magna Flow make a new exhaust for them. They (Dansk) have no incentive to make a better exhaust until we quit buying them. That's how free markets are supposed to work.

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dave Merz »

Quite a few years ago I bought a Dansk muffler from one of the usual vendors and it didn't fit worth a shit. Don't remember which one but I called and complained and asked for Dansk rep's phone number. Then called rep and was told the standard answer that there wasn't a fitment problem and that he hadn't heard of any complaints about them. Since then I've never heard of anyone having one fit properly. Brad, can you help us out here and lean on these clowns for the 356 community?

Thanks, Dave

George Hussey
356 Fan

#23 Post by George Hussey »

Dansk has a good reputation, but like any aftermarket manufacturer makes mistakes. We have had tail pipes at incorrect angles, gas tanks with flanges and brackets in the wrong place, and mufflers that just do not fit. They try to correct the problems, but are slow to admit that they exist.

Adam is a good guy, and is really helping the community by making some really good parts
George Hussey