Walls of battery box: To fully replace?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Stephens
356 Fan

Walls of battery box: To fully replace?

#1 Post by Mike Stephens »

My battery box was repaired poorly, probably many years ago, with flat sheet metal. I’ve cut out the flat sheet metal from the floor and back/front/passenger side walls. I have purchased all the repair panels from Stoddard already.

My question is, I should drill out all the spot welds and fully replace all 4 walls, or just cut out the few inches I need from the repair panels and butt weld them in? I don’t plan on cutting off the nose panel or fenders.

I'm leaning towards fully replacing everything, as that much butt welding in a confined location seems real annoying.

This will be my first major welding project. I have a Lincoln MIG welder with gas, but am considering picking up a spot welder as I have several other areas that need attention.

IMG_3761.jpg
IMG_3763.jpg
IMG_3765.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg
IMG_3770.jpg
IMG_3774.jpg
IMG_3780.jpg
IMG_4935 Resized.JPG
1972 911E survivor
1972 914 2.0L
1963 Italian delivered 356B Super 90 project

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Walls of battery box: To fully replace?

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Mike

I would take it up to the the original flange, drill out all the old spot welds with a two flute spot weld cutter. (I use WURTH Cobalt Spot Weld Drill Bit 8mm PN# 0710008) You can plug weld the old spot welds back in with your mig. Grind the old flange clean it clean and fit the new sections in. Hold them with a cleico or a couple screws. Prime the edges with a weld through primer and the rest with a acid etching primer. Epoxy top coat after installation. I also dip the rivets for the two hook in epoxy paint and buck them wet.

Use 3M clear "self leveling" seam sealer on all the seams after installation, and I also now treat the entire area with urethane truck bed liner after the prime and paint to separate the battery gas from the metal. Careful with the bed liner, apply to clean painted metal only, don't cover any old rust or undercoating. This is tough stuff but it will trap existing rust and make it worse later.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965