Charlie White's Carb rebuild book

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Turino
356 Fan

#1 Post by Steve Turino »

Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy the "Rebuilding Zenith 32 NDIX Carburetor book by Charlie White?
I tried several months ago by emailing an AOL address but never heard back. If anyone knows how I can find this book please let me know.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

Re: Charlie White's Carb rebuild book

#2 Post by Jim Clement »

here is a you tube video that is worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNmonR7Lb8&t=18s

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Steve Turino wrote:Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy the "Rebuilding Zenith 32 NDIX Carburetor book by Charlie White?
A few years ago before Charlie passed, I contacted him with the same question. He said then, that it was no longer available.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Rebuild them yourself if you have any small amount of mechanical aptitude. Just buy the kits and then rebuild one carb at a time using the other one as a guide. The only difference side to side is the accel pump mounting which is self evident when looking at the two carbs on the bench. Do not adjust the accel pump link unless you have problems with the pump jet volume and use paint thinner or mineral spirits to test and measure as it has a very high flash point and is the same SG as gasoline. There are U tube videos that will guide you and obviously this forum if you get in over your head which should not happen if you just take your time.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

Charlie gave me a copy of the book. If someone from the Registry wishes to get permission from Charlie's family, I could scan it and put it into a PDF file so it could be made available to members on the Registry website. I'm not sure his family would want to go to the trouble of having it reprinted and bound so they could market it, so they might be receptive to our offering it free for members to download.

Just a thought. (And, no, I don't want to sell it......)

Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#6 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

I finished Charlie ‘s 911/912 literature book for him as he was unable to do it himself after his stroke. Thankfully it was finished before he passed away. I tell you all this to let you know that I interacted with his family quite a bit before and after his passing and that his daughter Danielle and her husband will retain all rights to all his work and are probably interested in continuing to print and market all his work. I would imagine if there is enough expressed interest they would do a reprint. I also doubt they would allow pdf copies to be printed and circulated by a third party.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm sure you're correct Sebastian. It would be a shame though to have a lot of Charlie's stuff go by the wayside as Harry's did. The missing ingredient is, unfortunately, a deep love and appreciation of the cars. Harry had it. Charlie certainly did. Harry's family apparently didn't. Hopefully, Charlie's daughter and son-in-law do or will.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#8 Post by Spencer Harris »

Steve Turino wrote:Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy the "Rebuilding Zenith 32 NDIX Carburetor book by Charlie White?
I tried several months ago by emailing an AOL address but never heard back. If anyone knows how I can find this book please let me know.
'58 Supplement to Service Manual contains a 20-page step by step guide.
32 NDIX '58 Workshop.JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#9 Post by Jim Clement »

why not post the supplement ?

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Turino »

Thanks for all the comments. A registry member may sell me his copy of Charlie's book if he can find it. I think I will try the rebuild myself this winter, as it is evident the gaskets are seeping. Not sure how to do the accelerator pump jet testing David Jones mentioned but I will cross that bridge when I get there. I will surely have more questions for the registry members and I also have some other projects for the car this winter so I will have to see how far I get with all of them.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#11 Post by David Jones »

Steve, as long as you have the factory workshop manual and the aptitude to work on stuff you will have no problem rebuilding the carbs.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Turino »

David
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do have the factory workshop manual and I believe I have the aptitude (we'll see about that, right?)
Question about rebuild kits. They seem to vary in price from our usual vendors from about $30 to $55 per carb. Any reason not to use the the less expensive kit? I also recall reading that it was a good idea to have an extra kit on hand at the time of the rebuild, but can't recall why that was necessary.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#13 Post by David Jones »

Steve, most of the time the only part that needs replacing is the accel pump plunger when they dry out and no longer seal. The top gasket often gets torn during disassembly if you are not careful and the top plate is also usually no longer flat so does not stop a little leakage from the float bowl. That can be fixed though with a little time and elbow grease on a flat piece of glass with some 200 grit wet and dry paper. If the float valve was working before disassembly I leave it alone.
I would however check float level as that seems to be where most issues with the Zenith are centered.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#14 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Steve, I have the book and it is out on loan until mid- to late December. I can lend it to you after that. I also have the '58 supplement manual with the carb section. Charlie's book goes into a bit more detail for disassembly and parts identification than the manual does, similar to what Pellow had done with his books. Charlie also described some issues and fixes with very old parts; the manual dealt with new parts that would not have these problems. I did a few minor things differently than Charlie did and can include those notes as well for comparison. A valuable complement to the carb work is to rebuild your fuel pump and the gas on/off/reserve valve, too.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#15 Post by Steve Turino »

Tom
That is a very nice offer. I do have a registry member who is willing to sell me their copy of Charlie's book so I think I am going to pursue that avenue. I would be interested in seeing your notes re changes to Charlie's methods. If you felt like emailing your notes I certainly would appreciate them.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S