Charlie White's Carb rebuild book

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Charlie White's Carb rebuild book

#16 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And don't forget that there is always Ron LaDow's excellent article to help you: https://porsche356registry.org/article/30
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#17 Post by Steve Turino »

Thanks to all for the helpful advice and especially to Gary Cox for GIVING me his copy of Charlie's book ( I will gladly pay it forward to the next needy member) and to Tom Wavrin for sharing his note's. I have and will again review Ron's article.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#18 Post by Richard Shilling »

I too have the book but don't want to sell, as my name is on it as a contributor.

I can understand the desire to do your own carbs. To do the job properly you will have to buy some tools it's unlikely you own for a one-time use. The fuel level is very important, Ron la Dow sells a gauge, see Vendors on the Registry pull down. Sierra Madre Collection and Stoddard sell the graduated vial to measure the accelerator pump discharge. The accelerator pump discharge valve is difficult to remove and a quick search online didn't come up with a tool. The valve has a slightly rounded slot and I made my own tool with a ground down drag link socket. Or maybe someone on the list has a source.

Or, send them to Ron la Dow or Carburettor Rescue and be done with it!
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I am pretty sure that Ron is not doing them any more. Except maybe for Double Secret Handshake Friends.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#20 Post by Steve Turino »

Richard Shilling wrote: Or, send them to Ron la Dow or Carburetor Rescue and be done with it!
Richard, I am also weighing this option, sending to Carb Rescue which sounds like the fool proof method. Not as gratifying but maybe more prudent in the end. I am reading Charlie's book (thanks Gary) to educate myself before deciding which way to go.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#21 Post by Gary Cox »

Hi Steve. Hope the book works out for you, I found it to be an excellent cook book guide on a "gasket rebuild" for the Zenith. Others here certainly have more experience so listen to them, but i would encourage a go for it, you can do it, if it does not work out, then send it to the experts to bail you out. My impression is the bottom side of the Zenith is very hardy, it does not require machine service like some of the other carbs. I used the book to learn on mine, it worked out ok, glad I was able to pass it on.
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Steve Turino
356 Fan

#22 Post by Steve Turino »

Thanks again Gary, that's a nice stable of cars you've got there.
1961 T5 Super Coupe
2013 Boxster S