Partial floor replacement opinions

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Whittick
356 Fan

Partial floor replacement opinions

#1 Post by Dave Whittick »

I've stripped my 64 down to bare metal and I'm happy with the over all condition. The driver's side front floor is pretty rough and needs replacement. The passenger side isn't great so I think replacing the front floor pan is a given. The rear pan half is quite good with only a few issues on the driver's side. Is there any point is just repairing the driver's side rear and replacing the front pan half or should I just replace the entire floor and be done with it?

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Partial floor replacement opinions

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Dave

i just did a front pair, not too hard, look here

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... ement.html
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#3 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Looks like a good place to use Panel adhesive it will seal it and keep the joint rust free. Use SS steel pop rivet just to clamp the panels and then hit them with a mig for a life time repair

ScottBerry
356 Fan

#4 Post by ScottBerry »

Nothing wrong with just replacing the front. Floors are a lot of work to fit up front under the tunnel and forward braces. Plenty of welds to separate. Shaping the rear floor is a lot of work and forming it for the curved underside. I recently finished up the floors - mostly straight forward but time consuming but satisfying in the end.
Attachments
CF61B331-1C3E-4FDA-959C-D81B5B51FC36.jpeg
1960 356B (110196) restoration project in progress
1968 912 Restoration Complete

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Epperly »

ScottBerry wrote:Nothing wrong with just replacing the front. Floors are a lot of work to fit up front under the tunnel and forward braces. Plenty of welds to separate. Shaping the rear floor is a lot of work and forming it for the curved underside. I recently finished up the floors - mostly straight forward but time consuming but satisfying in the end.
Nice work!

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Whittick »

ScottBerry wrote:Nothing wrong with just replacing the front. Floors are a lot of work to fit up front under the tunnel and forward braces. Plenty of welds to separate. Shaping the rear floor is a lot of work and forming it for the curved underside. I recently finished up the floors - mostly straight forward but time consuming but satisfying in the end.
Hey Scott. Nice job! I'm comfortable with the welding aspect. I was more curious about replacing the entire floor as opposed to replacing just what's necessary. The Restoration Design panels are really well done and I think they look spot on but don't want to devalue the car because I'm too lazy to save the original floors.