Bumper guards on my '57A Coupe (100461)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wayne Arny
356 Fan

Bumper guards on my '57A Coupe (100461)

#1 Post by Wayne Arny »

(I am resubmitting this note, as I initially put it in the wrong discussion group! Apologies!)

I am reassembling the bumpers on my ‘57A Coupe, and I wonder about my bumper guards. (Pictured below.)

These are the four that came with the car years ago, but two appear to be polished aluminum and two appear to be chromed. I’ve read through past threads in the Forum here, and I gather that for European delivery early 356As had polished aluminum for the front bumper and the chromed guards on the rear.

However, as we all know after participating in this forum for years (to quote, partially, an old mentor of mine): When it comes to Porsche 356 parts, “Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Narrow Minds!”

So, what’s the answer? Clean up what I’ve got and put the polished ones on the front and the chromed ones on the back? Or go out and find two more of the polished aluminum and make them all look the same?

The car came with a muffler that exited out under the rear bumper, and there were no indications in the rear valance or bumper that it had ever had “through-the-bumper” exhaust pipes.

I must confess that after driving this car for the past twenty years, I guess I was more interested in driving it than closely examining the bumper guards, as it never caught my attention.

Thanks!
Attachments
Exterior view of all four bumper guards; rear to the left; front to the right
Exterior view of all four bumper guards; rear to the left; front to the right
View of the interiors of all four
View of the interiors of all four
Interior news of a rear and front guard
Interior news of a rear and front guard
Side views of a rear and front guard
Side views of a rear and front guard
Exterior view of a rear and a front guard
Exterior view of a rear and a front guard

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Bumper guards on my '57A Coupe (100461)

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'd say for the sake of originality, clean them up and reinstall.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

You've got two original "short fats" (anodized) and two repro narrow euros (polished - I don't see them as chrome in the photo).

Assuming you car was a Euro delivery without protection tubes, then it would have come with the short narrow diecast chrome guards, front and rear. Here is a link to currently available reproductions: https://www.stoddard.com/64450503202c.html

The short fats were for earlier cars, both front and rear. Here is a link to current reproductions, polished not anodized : http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Fr ... 15959.html

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wayne Arny »

Brad, Just to be clear, the "short fats" are the ones on the left; the rear ones? Thanks!

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

Wayne,

Your car is a '57T1 and having just the plain guards, all 4-should have the same finish w/matched pairs--2-rights & 2-lefts.
The same thing having thru the bumper exhaust guards, unless chromed as an option(?)

Dick

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Hall »

I think, but can't be sure, that for the "A" cars all thru the exhaust guards, both w and w/o overriders, were chrome plated but guards w/o the thru exhaust were bright dip finish and not chrome. Suspect it may have been done that way because of the corrosive nature of the exhaust.