C Ventilation Ram intakes (in trunk).

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Glen Getchell
356 Fan

C Ventilation Ram intakes (in trunk).

#1 Post by Glen Getchell »

I am trying to find out some information regarding the ram jets up under the hood for our cars ventilation system (at least the later cars). In particular was there some sort of sealing material used originally on the flaps (rubber, foam, etc...). I have a breeze coming out of the rubber outlet that points down and bends towards the carpet when the flaps are shut. Now generally this is not much of a concern in Florida, but we do take the car to the mountains often, and it was an issue coming back from the ECH. Knowing that we were heading towards warmer weather I chose to wear shorts for comfort. I chose poorly finding that the razor thin rush of air was colder than I had anticipated resulting in a chilly near shrinking of the family jewels (metaphorically speaking).

Now I have looked at the rams, and they are working properly. I even have a spare sitting on my desk in front of me. The bottom of the flaps are very rough on all of them like something was glued on that has deteriorated over the years. From the looks of it, I question if it was not some sort of horse hair type seal.

Anyway, if anybody out there knows anything about these ventilation rams, or have restored them, can you please let me know if there was originally a seal, or did Porsche always intend on the draft?

Thanks!
Glen
64Cx2

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

Re: C Ventilation Ram intakes (in trunk).

#2 Post by Glen Getchell »

On further research I have discovered that there are two 1/4" (MOL) round magnets that help hold the flaps in place. I originally thought they were stoppers (I guess they are, just for the opposite direction). It is clear as day that if Porsche intended these rams to shut off all air, that there had to be some sort of seal that was at a minimum as thick as the magnet, as the magnet dictates the size of the gap that must be sealed when the system is off. In my mind there had to be some sort of seal otherwise this system does not make sense. I am going to roam around the house and see if I can find a piece of foam that would meet the requirement. But I would still like to know what was originally there.

Glen
64Cx2

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Foam rubber that deteriorated with age.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

These were discussed a while ago. Try here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46779

(Keep those metaphorical jewels warm....)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Glen Getchell »

Thanks for the info!

Just been everywhere looking. I never knew foam rubber was this hard to buy. Looks like I will be using weather stripping from Home Depot glued on in sections as its not available wide enough to make one piece. I'll use contact cement as I figure the self adhesive will last just long enough for me to get the grate back on. Which is actually longer than that stuff has ever self stuck in the past when I've used it.

Glen
64Cx2

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

You could actually buy a horrible $5.00 1/4" drive socket set just for the foam that is inside the case. It would be worth it, but make sure you throw away the tools.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Glen Getchell »

Probably as much as I paid for the weather stripping!

Throw away tools are the best. You keep them in the car for emergency repairs. Once the repair is done you just get back in the car and leave. No clean up! Problem is I'm always afraid that I will have another issue so I pack up the tools meaning that I am forever stuck with throw-a-way tools.

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#8 Post by DonCichocki »

Glen,
I used some old wetsuit neoprene to make the seals, worked great. I think it was about thick as the magnets.
You might find what you need at McMaster-Carr Supply Co.
https://www.mcmaster.com/neoprene-rubber-sheets

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Rubber gasket material from your local auto parts store?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#10 Post by Norm Miller »

Glen Getchell wrote:I am trying to find out some information regarding the ram jets up under the hood for our cars ventilation system (at least the later cars). In particular was there some sort of sealing material used originally on the flaps (rubber, foam, etc...). I have a breeze coming out of the rubber outlet that points down and bends towards the carpet when the flaps are shut. Now generally this is not much of a concern in Florida, but we do take the car to the mountains often, and it was an issue coming back from the ECH. Knowing that we were heading towards warmer weather I chose to wear shorts for comfort. I chose poorly finding that the razor thin rush of air was colder than I had anticipated resulting in a chilly near shrinking of the family jewels (metaphorically speaking).
e know if there was originally a seal, or did Porsche always intend on the draft?

Glen
64Cx2
I just turn the heater on enough to cancel the breeze.
You could slip a pair of paint can lids over the intakes too.
Black lids look cool, if you were adventurous you could use a red one on the left and a green on the right.
Norm

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#11 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Here you can see how to restore the fresh air vents in the trunck.
http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... &start=978