How to neutralize paint

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

How to neutralize paint

#1 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

I have a barn find which I am trying to treat rusted area's to neutralize them. I will not be painting or sanding these area's, as I am wanting to keep the car original. What is the product to use that will remove the rust, leaving me with a bare metal/blackish appearance? Porsport was advertising a 911 on our forums. They advertised that they neutralized the rust area's on their car. I reached out to them, but to no avail. Any suggestions appreciated. And I've tried vinegar, but that seems to be a swing and a miss.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: How to neutralize paint

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

Your local hardware store will have rust neutralizer. If you need a large quantity, try:
https://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Conve ... _QQAvD_BwE
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Loctite extend is another product.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

Talk to your local body shop supply place, they will probably recommend a product. Back in the day I think the best product was called "rust-mort". These products leave, I think, an iron phosphate/latex surface which will have some protection but will not last long, it more a surface that is intended to be painted over.

David Green
356 Fan

#5 Post by David Green »

Look at Eastwood's Rust Converter. I've used their products successfully and think it will do what you want.
David

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

I just tried Evaporust on a fuel sender. First time I have used it. The sender was terrible and not working. 24 hours later the rust was gone, the pits remained, but It got all the oxides off, inside and out, the green corrosion on the wiper is gone and it works again. I used to disassemble the senders , but this worked very well. The cork even became flexable again.

You might try a towel soaked with it and cover the heavy areas,with plastic on the heavy spots. Tractor supply or hardware store has the stuff in gallons.
Attachments
After removing the tank,  Pretty poor.
After removing the tank, Pretty poor.
After a day in evaporust. Works again.
After a day in evaporust. Works again.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#7 Post by Joris Koning »

Evaporust is one of the few products in this hobby I have used that lives up to all the hype. Truly amazing stuff
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#8 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

David Green wrote:Look at Eastwood's Rust Converter. I've used their products successfully and think it will do what you want.
David
Eastwood’s is good, I’ve tried it. Problem is I’m doing large sections of under carriage and wheel wells. I think I need something with a gel like base to it, so it will cling to rust and absorb. Pure liquid wants to run off and evaporate before getting the job done.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dan Epperly »

Robert Thiemrodt wrote:
David Green wrote:Look at Eastwood's Rust Converter. I've used their products successfully and think it will do what you want.
David
Eastwood’s is good, I’ve tried it. Problem is I’m doing large sections of under carriage and wheel wells. I think I need something with a gel like base to it, so it will cling to rust and absorb. Pure liquid wants to run off and evaporate before getting the job done.
Then you want naval jelly. It works better if you take plastic sheeting from like Home Depot and cover the Gel with it so the Gel doesn't evaporate fast. Let it sit over night.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Smith »

You may want to look into Gibbs lubricant. Hot rod guys use this on sheet metal bodies to prevent bare metal corrosion. You can find info on line. I've used this for a few years. It's quite different from lubricants like WD40 as it doesn't evaporate over time. It won't dissolve or remove rust like phosphoric acid (e.g. Eastwood Rust Converter) or chelation (e.g. Evapo Rust) but will penetrate through rust to the bare metal. You will want to wire brush all loose rust but then simply brush or spray it on, wipe excess, and then leave it alone. The lacquer repaint on my '60 ivory cab is over 40 years old. It has has started to craze/crack and lift in spots revealing bare metal. It's a great patina look and I'm preserving it as long as I can with Gibbs.
Bruce Smith

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Brush, spray, or sponge motor oil on the infected areas, thats a effective hillbilly method.