I'm guessing this 63 is a pig with lipstick

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steven Murray
356 Fan

I'm guessing this 63 is a pig with lipstick

#1 Post by Steven Murray »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-356-S/143 ... :rk:1:pf:0

No under car shots

very bad hood fit , and the car even has the external gas fill.
very bad right door fit
door jamb vin plate looks too sloppy to be factory. I hate substitutions of vin plate.
dash orange peel
trunk vin plate is unreadable for the vin only
bad pleats, many wrinkles in interior
I bet you guys see waves or bondo evidence

This particular dealership did not impress me when I saw they flipped an 80s ebay 911 where the original owner showed photos of rust holes around the windshield - but this dealership - not so much. This 356 did not show up in registry with any ownership details.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: I'm guessing this 63 is a pig with lipstick

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Couple things to notice, their ebay feedback, which is bad. Also, not as important but funny, their use of a condemned building as a backdrop.
Like any car, I would recommend a PPI.

Lastly, their description of the car is pretty sparse.

"1963 Porsche 356 B-Series T6S
Slate Grey with Red leather interior

82,994 miles"

No mention of previous ownership, work done, driveability, a phone call might remedy this but I would proceed with caution.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Hussey »

a pig in lipstick is a great description for this one. Truly a beater, too far gone now to restore, but attractive enough to use to beat around, drive up at the track, take a road trip (if it checks out mechanically) and never let anyone judge it so you will not have to apologize for the horrible body lines, the k mart seat covers, and the rest of the horror (look at the stickers in the engine compartment!!!). He does not even have the hubcap crests pointing towards the valve stems!! (LOL)
If one could purchase this for 35,000 in todays market, one would have a driver not to worry about getting dings or wrecking!!! (it could only be made better if wrecked!)
George Hussey

Richard Holler
356 Fan
Tag: 1963 356 S T6 coupe

#4 Post by Richard Holler »

yea, its not winning concours d' elegance, but aren't we all being a little hyper critical here? I have seen much, much worse on ebay, lol. Heck, its better then my poo box in some respects.

Is the asking price high, sure. but i think all 356s are priced a tad "hopeful" these days...
1963 356 S T6 Karmann Coupe (stock engine)
Front disc brake conversion
GDP Dual Exhaust
Momo Classic steering wheel
SMD headlights
CUlayer LED rear tails
Superleicht spec (aka missing V brace and copious amounts of Bondo)

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ed Pimm »

Wow, had to check to see if I was on the right website, the way you guys are attacking this car I thought I was on Early 911S. You don't like the car don't buy it. Just my 2 cents.
Ed Pimm

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Does the house come with the car?
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Richard Holler wrote:yea, its not winning concours d' elegance, but aren't we all being a little hyper critical here? I have seen much, much worse on ebay, lol. Heck, its better then my poo box in some respects.

Is the asking price high, sure. but i think all 356s are priced a tad "hopeful" these days...
Concur. It's a real 356 in a pretty color combination. All the aforementioned issues are undeniable (I love the super rare Fram fan shroud! Ha!), but your neighbors would be jealous as would a lot of folks at a Cars & Coffee.

For $60K you should be able to do a bit better. The $35K price valuation on this car is just not where we are anymore. It'd need to have missing floors or significant repair issues to ever get to that level.

It does have that "gussied up for a quick sale to a newb" look to it. But if you're in the market for a driver, might be worth a trip to see it on a lift, poke around a bit and heck maybe it actually drives OK. My driver's side door fit isn't far off from this car. Yeah, it bugs me, but I don't own the car to win shows.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steven Murray »

Sean M Rooks wrote: The $35K price valuation on this car is just not where we are anymore. It'd need to have missing floors or significant repair issues to ever get to that level.
It has carpet but with no underneath photos we don't know if it has floors. :P