Leaking Exhaust

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Leaking Exhaust

#16 Post by Dave Wildrick »

I had the same Dansk muffler on and off my 64C coupe at least 3 times, mainly trying to keep the J-pipe joints sealed. Also, had to use a floor jack handle to bend one flange-mating pipe to be parallel with the other one.
I gave up and bought Zim's stainless M&K muffler, cloned from a Liestritz stock muffler, and I have those on both of my C coupes now.
They fit on the cars easily, seem to hold up well, and I like the sound. They go for around $1,000, but no more aggravation with Dansk.

I believe the non-stainless steel German one that Jim Learmonth bought costs about the same, factoring in shipping from Germany, but it probably looks more authentic than stainless steel mufflers and should last many years.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#17 Post by David Jones »

I had a fit problem with a muffler on a car maybe 10 years ago and it was the flanges to the heads of course that did not fit so I cut them off then bolted them on and after a little massaging with a lot of heat I made them line up with the cut ends and welded them back together. Maybe a bit of an extreme way to do it but as the engine was out of the car it was perhaps the quickest and easiest way to solve the problem.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jim Nelson »

Fed up with the fitting issues, I’ve run down a NOS Leisritz, you can find them.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#19 Post by Ron LaDow »

jim nelson wrote:Fed up with the fitting issues, I’ve run down a NOS Leisritz, you can find them.
Jim, that's not a market Pre Mat's interested in but please do keep us posted. The crap alternative need competition and needs to know it's there.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jim Nelson »

Ron LaDow wrote:
jim nelson wrote:Fed up with the fitting issues, I’ve run down a NOS Leisritz, you can find them.
Jim, that's not a market Pre Mat's interested in but please do keep us posted. The crap alternative need competition and needs to know it's there.
Ron, they're just really hard to find, especially for my Euro muffler. Got to go to Europe to run them down.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#21 Post by Ron LaDow »

jim nelson wrote:Ron, they're just really hard to find, especially for my Euro muffler. Got to go to Europe to run them down.
Like every good in the world, there is a price where quality puts 'cheap' out of business or makes the producers of 'cheap' improve their goods. Problem here is the tooling costs and warehousing costs to produce good ones, and the danger that once you invest in the process the 'cheap' supplier makes the product good and leaves you holding the bag.
I could see using the Fed Ex or UPS 'logistics stations' to address the warehousing costs but the tooling costs are still there. Perhaps there's an opportunity for someone to buy the crummy parts, make a jig, cut and weld them to make them workable at the cost of doing so?
I think Cliff tried to get them to fix the problems and got BS promises, right Cliff?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#22 Post by C J Murray »

Ron LaDow wrote:I think Cliff tried to get them to fix the problems and got BS promises, right Cliff?
Ron, that is correct. I spoke to one of the factory managers who was very pleasant and received my input in a very courteous way. I was impressed that they took the time and effort to address these issues on a product that is very low volume for their company.

Somehow though the faults have not been corrected.

As a very kind gesture to me they sent me a stainless muffler free of charge. It did fit better and I had it on my 2133cc 63 coupe for around 10k miles until it shook itself apart at some of the welds. Maybe this was hastened by the extra vibration of the 160hp engine but I am now using a GDP stainless. We will see.

If Dansk could fix their problem we would all be happy.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jon Schmid »

Dansk not only has fitment issues, they also have a nasty propensity for cracking. I could see if they were sold for Midas muffler pricing but at $600+ the quality should be much better.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

When you said Midas I was thinking about the king, whose gold mufflers would be very expensive. Then I realized you meant the muffler installation chain and it made sense.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#25 Post by Norm Miller »

There was a time, yes, however, I've done 4 Dansk mufflers this year and didn't have any fitting issues.
1 76 912E
2 70 911T
3 61 356B
4 58 356A

There were no leaks after I quit trying to use the gaskets from the overhaul kits.
The flange gaskets for the 912E were a no fit, a different size altogether.

I am not associated with Dansk. Not many other choices out there.

Norm

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jon Schmid »

Norm, let the countdown start as to when you get cracks from the pipes entering the muffler. Unless Dansk has totally redone their design, you will get cracks with the associated lovely backfires on deceleration. Don't ask me how I know.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#27 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

I have a small leak with the Dansk muffler also. Where do you get the Remflex gaskets?

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#28 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Chuck: www.Remflex.com; 1-866-641-7325. I got mine through Summit Racing Equipment. I've found Summit to be a top shelf out fit to deal with/through with all things. Good luck.

Welcome home, Bro'.

Paul
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe