Oil leak assistance ideas

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Oil leak assistance ideas

#31 Post by Martin Benade »

Which makes it cosmetically not an exact match.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

mike allen
356 Fan

#32 Post by mike allen »

It may be a little late but I chased an oil leak around the dipstick forever ( thought it was the dipstick)! Finally, upon pulling the generator stand, there was a linear crack in the stand on the back side of the stand. Replaced it it and no leaks since! I had changed the base gasket several times and finally gave up.
I had three well respected mechanics inspect it. The third time it was found but it was very elusive and probably rare. I think we think it's not a probably place but it leaks enough to make a mess.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#33 Post by Mark Roth »

Research indicates that case number 616/15 is correct for a C. 616/16 is for an SC and 616/12 is for a late S. Are these the cases that are appropriate?
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#34 Post by Dick Weiss »

I answered this a couple of times last week, but for some reason it didn't get posted(?)

If the engine compartment gets completely wet--especially on the right side, You have a bad pulley seal and the pulley will 'sling it'
all over the sheet metal; The dipstick O-ring shouldn't leak if it exists. Any leaks from the oil junction block won't (or shouldn't)
leak to the right side that much due to the generator stand being in the way.

The newer Viton pulley seal has a problem w/its sealing lip slightly molded forward to its edge (out of place around 1,0-1,5mm vs.the single OEM's lip) which it may NOT seal the pulley hub--unless you have a full length hub diameter on a re-finished cracked hub--Dunno why the OEM pulley has a relief in the casting--the F/wheel doesn't!

Also, the oil return hole in the 3rd piece's bore must be open AND the thin shim (before the pulley) must be 54mm diameter; The earlier shim was 57mm dia. and it nearly blocked the hole for the oil to return to the sump.
Always check the pulley's hub contact w/the seal's lip when installed--wipe a light grease on the hub and add the pulley; then remove.

I've repaired about 5- or 6-oil cooler stands w/o heli-arcing--even did mine years ago w/the engine still in my C coupe and the stand had 1-corner cracked OFF! Added 3-screws and JB weld to bond it back and made a special-headed sleeve to seal the hole and the stand just polished flat--no machining or complete engine tear-down!!! I repaired another case w/the other corner cracked off, but the engine was removed for better access.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#35 Post by Dick Weiss »

I forgot to add;

A leaking oil cooler pad will leak on the left side vs. the right and will show up from under the #4 upper air guide to underneath and wet the flapper box. It can be verified by removing the plug terminal and use a small mirror and flashlight, you'll see if it's the cooler or the cooler stand. Rarely it's the seals, unless--?
Years ago I had a "leaker" on the right side and after the F/shroud was removed (and wet), the cooler leaked from its top right! A 1st,

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#36 Post by Mark Roth »

Dick,
Please send me your email via a pm. You don't have an email on your profile. I would like to speak with you.
Mark
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#37 Post by C J Murray »

As Dick shows, where there is a will there is a way! If the engine runs well I would remove it, pull the tin, degrease it, run it on a stand to see where it leaks. Then I would know what has to be done and with help from clever people like Dick you may be able to fix the engine much more simply. It could be a leaky cooler and easy as replacing it.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#38 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm with you CJ. That's the normal way to troubleshoot an oil leak. His expert mechanic however, doesn't want to pull the engine until Mark has located a replacement case, hence all the searching and questions.

Kind of unusual, I think. I'd clean it up as much as possible, then run it and watch for the first sign of a leak. If that proves inconclusive, pull the engine to find it. You and I can pull an engine quite easily, but maybe Mark can't so he has to rely on this guy who's hesitant to do it without a standby plan.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

C J Murray
356 Fan

#39 Post by C J Murray »

Mark, do this the way that is best for you and your wallet, not for the convenience of others. Your guy may be great for quick work but he is telling you that he is not the right guy for this job. Maybe after you diagnose precisely what is wrong he could take the engine and fix it while the car resides at your garage. Please don't buy parts before you have a definitive diagnosis.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#40 Post by Mark Roth »

CJ
I am not going to buy anything until the problem is diagnosed. I just need to line up alternatives just in case. Thanks for the good advice.
Don’t want to pay to R&R the engine for just a diagnosis.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#41 Post by Craig Richter »

Mark, this is page 3 with tons of proper advice to track down an oil leak. What's your big reluctance to pulling your motor? Any of the people advising you here can do it 1/2 hour. If I help, maybe an hour. How much is your mechanic quoting you for an R&R? Just do it.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#42 Post by Wes Bender »

Uh, Craig, I used to be able to do it in 20 minutes, but after I turned 80 I found out that it takes more like an afternoon...... But thanks for the comment, which is spot on.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#43 Post by Mark Roth »

Craig,
15 years ago or so we pulled another engine in my garage. I recall that it took more than an hour each way. The person who helped is no longer in good shape and I have lost the inclination. First class garages here in Houston charge $150 per hour or so and go by a flat rate manual. The flat rate manuals don't even have the 356 or 912 in it. They have a lot of overhead and have to pay their mechanics. I would guess that the garage would charge at least two hours in and two hours out. Plus the time getting the engine on the stand, testing, and diagnosing. So it's not just a couple of guys in a garage with some beers. The owner is trying to save me money. After talking with Dick Weiss, we have a plan and I will put it to the mechanic on Monday. Will keep you posted. Adam is not responsive.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

John Brooks
356 Fan

#44 Post by John Brooks »

Mark

Call John Steward H 713 523 8982 C 471 6188. He is the traveling 356 fixer in Houston. He keeps my brothers tub on the road when I cant fix it over the phone. in the past 4-5 years he has been very good. He comes to you, with jacks, stands and tools.
Last edited by John Brooks on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#45 Post by Craig Richter »

Wes, I'm "only" 75, but I appreciate every "creek" in our old bodies. It may take us all afternoon, but we'd still have a heck of a lot of fun doing it. If Dick were there, it might take even longer, but we'd have even more fun.
Mark, and if you were there, it could take all day, but the fun would go up hourly. This is the way it used to be, and the way it still is around Jack's shop, at least on Fridays...