Oil leak assistance ideas

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Craig Richter
356 Fan

Re: Oil leak assistance ideas

#46 Post by Craig Richter »

Mike, I've never heard of a cracked generator stand before. Those are like indestructible parts! You could have the whole above crew together, and that one would take awhile to figure out!

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#47 Post by Dick Weiss »

Neither have I, Craig;

Most likely it's a casting/mold line--unless it's been in a rear end collision and even then, the possible crack would be on the rear end toward the pulley. If so, the F/shroud, generator, & oil cooler would be damaged, too.

Dick.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#48 Post by Craig Richter »

Speaking of oil leaks, when we (meaning Jack) were putting Lucretia back together after paint, there was a strange oil wetness around the center of the case. Upon checking, it wasn't a pulley leak, oil junction washers, tin work screws, cracked generator stand, or anything like that. Someone (he thinks me, I blame "mystery person") left the O-ring off the distributor. Now who does that??

C J Murray
356 Fan

#49 Post by C J Murray »

Craig Richter wrote:Speaking of oil leaks, when we (meaning Jack) were putting Lucretia back together after paint, there was a strange oil wetness around the center of the case. Upon checking, it wasn't a pulley leak, oil junction washers, tin work screws, cracked generator stand, or anything like that. Someone (he thinks me, I blame "mystery person") left the O-ring off the distributor. Now who does that??
I'm pretty sure it wasn't you Craig.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#50 Post by Craig Richter »

Thanks for your confidence, C J, but this guy can't even find his own readers these days (but neither can Jack)...

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#51 Post by Dave Wildrick »

John Brooks wrote:Mark

Call John Steward H 713 523 8982 C 471 6188. He is the traveling 356 fixer in Houston. He keeps my brothers tub on the road when I cant fix it over the phone. in the past 4-5 years he has been very good. He comes to you, with jacks, stands and tools.
John,
I think John Seward is the guy Mark refers to as helping pull his motor 15 years ago. John is a good guy and has helped many of us in Houston over the years, but I have also recently heard that he is suffering from some health issues.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#52 Post by Mark Roth »

Update to the original post about the oil leak. Dick Weiss was kind enough to offer a C case if the case was cracked so we had enough confidence to pull the engine. Dick also served as a technical consultant for the oil cooler mounting and other issues. Thanks again, Dick. Turns out that the weld was intact and no cracks in the crankcase. Good work Al Zim in 2000! We found a paper towel in the fan and wear on the pistons as described this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47968

The oil leak was coming from the unconventional mounting of the oil cooler by the CA engine builder 12,000 miles ago in January 2012. Instead of using the red seals, the builder used 914 seals which left a gap between the case and the cooler. He said last week that he had problems with the red seals collapsing so he went to 914 seals. We found that two of the three mounting studs had snapped off at the nuts. The builder now claimed that the old studs from the 2000 oil cooler were too hard and were brittle. Hans says that they in fact are extremely harder than normal. In addition to the gap created by the 914 seals, the builder used flared nuts which did not seat flush with the mount because of the weld seam. This caused sideways force on the studs. You can see the grooves on the aluminum case in the photos. Hans ground down the weld as much as possible and added a washer under each nut to make sure the nuts were flush with the mounting plate. He used the red seals per Dick's instructions and mounted the oil cooler flush with the mounting plate. No leaks so far in 500 miles. I think that the builder has some responsibility for the current repair costs even though the build was long past the warranty period.

The leak around the dipstick was caused by oil seeping around the sheet metal screw which goes into the cylinder head. Although the screw was tight, the oil found a way under high loads. The mechanic put sealant around the threads and that stopped the leak.
Attachments
groove 1.jpg
groove 1.jpg (357.83 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
IMG_0873 (1).jpg
IMG_0873 (1).jpg (90.28 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0065.jpg (77.8 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg (106.01 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#53 Post by Norm Miller »

RE: the loud roar,
With the engine off reach around the housing and check the fan for debris.
Could be anything drome a leaf to the mechanic's underwear.
Paper towel?

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#54 Post by Mark Roth »

Thanks Norm
Towel was removed upon disassembly.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#55 Post by Dick Weiss »

Mark,

914 cooler seals are a NO-NO which attempting a ":floating" (soft-mount) oil cooler can't be done w/o the cooler having a top tap for the "soft-mount"
Grommet and bolt hardware. Also, I noticed your pistons have the oil rings next to the compression rings vs. below the wrist pins.
This could be the problem of oil being 'cooked' and high consumption of oil during drives.

Dick